ASUU to lecturers: Resume work on Friday, but we may still call you out — Fastest Delivery Of Magazine
Connect with us

Published

on

The Academic Staff Unions of Universities has finally suspended its the three months old strike.
Prof. Biodun Ogunyemi, ASUU National President, said this while addressing newsmen after a two-hour closed door meeting with the Minister of Labour and Employment, Senator Chris Ngige, on Thursday in Abuja.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that ASUU had embarked on strike on November 4, 2018 over its demands for revitalisation of universities, academic earned allowances, issuance of Universities Pension Management Company and others.
According to him: “After government proposals for addressing all outstanding issues in the 2013 Memorandum of Understanding and 2017 Memorandum of Action, NEC resolved to suspend the strike.
“The strike is suspended conditionally with effect from 12.01am on Friday, February 8.
“However, should Government fail to fulfill its part of the agreement as reflected in the 2019 Memorandum of Action, ASUU shall resume its suspended strike as the union deems it necessary.”
In his address, the minister said eight areas of disagreements were discussed and resolved by the two parties.
According to him: “We have dealt with all the eight contending issues and some of them have been implemented.
“ASUU has license for the Universities Pension Management Company on January 28, 2018.
“On the issue of salary shortfall in the universities, the Federal Government has released N16 billion, out of which N15.384 billion is for universities, while the rest is for other tertiary institutions.
“The Vice-Chancellors have acknowledged the receipt of the funds.
“We also have the issue of a committee to liaise with state government-owned universities, ASUU and the Federal Government through the Ministry of Education.
“That committee has been inaugurated two weeks ago.
“The visitation panel has been constituted and will commence work on March 2, 2019.
“On the issue of earned allowances, the Federal Government has released N20 billion for the payment to all categories of university staff.
“For the earned academic allowance, the Federal Government has released N25 billion and for the revitalization fund, a total of N25 billion will be released in the period between April and May 2019.
“The Federal Government will also resume full implementation of the Memorandum of Understanding entered into in 2019.”
Ngige commended ASUU for its patience and understanding. ASUU To Lecturers: Resume Work On Friday, But We May Still Call You Out
The Academic Staff Unions of Universities has finally suspended its the three months old strike.
RELATED STORIES
Breaking: ASUU, FG reach agreement
Feb 8, 2019

Saraki urges FG to end ASUU strike

Loading...

Am Humble and simple but hate *shit* I'm popularly address as Ballotech due to my optmost ideal and researchs on technology, I graduated from federal poly Ede and represent my able faculty and various research ground.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

JAMB reveals how 2019 UTME will be conducted

Published

on

By

 

 

Ahead of Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME), Prof. Ishaq Oloyede, Registrar, Joint Admission and Matriculations Board (JAMB), said the board has introduced new innovations for successful conduct of 2019 UTME.

NAN reports that Oloyede made this known in Abuja on Monday at the meeting of critical stakeholders on strategic planning and preparations for supervision and evaluation of administration of 2019 UTME slated to hold between April 11 and April 15.

He said a robust item backed with appropriate safeguard had been developed by moving toward open examination with one million questions per subject which would soon be effected.

“A separate indicator had also been created for the deaf (mute) to differentiate them for special attention at the examination centre. Efforts are on to provide option of special centres or mainstreaming for the blind.

“We now have live report on centres that registered any candidate, the time the candidate was registered, who registered the candidate, computer system used, the location of registration.

“All these are done through our enhanced monitoring system. I want to warn candidates expected to sit for its examination to ensure their biometrics were taken and verified or risk sitting for the examination,’’ he said.

He called on candidates to comply with the rules of engagement governing the registration and examination of the UTME.

According to him, biometric verification will be the only mode for admittance of candidates into the examination centres.

He added that increasing threat of identity fraud during the UTME before the advent of BVM necessitated its introduction for capturing the biometrics of candidates to counter fraud.

“Any candidate that cannot be verified by the Biometric Verification Mode (BVM) must not be allowed to take the examination under any guise.

“All candidates whose fingerprints could not be captured during registration from centres across the country were brought to JAMB Headquarters and were registered appropriately.

“In other words, exemption mode is not allowed for any candidate. Therefore, no biometric verification, no examination,” Oloyede warned.

The registrar added that the use of email/password would not be allowed by cyber cafe operators as it had now been classified as an offence for cyber cafe to ask for password before rendering services.

Oloyede said the board held an international round-table on cheating devices in December 2017 where various technology devices used for examination further said that Automated Teller Machine (ATM) was added to the list of prohibited items during its examinations.

He said other items prohibited are wristwatches, recorders, earpieces, mobile phones, Bluetooth devices, smart lenses, erasers, smart buttons and spy reading glasses, among others.

The registrar said the board had approved the use of 708 Computer Based Test (CBT) centres across the country for the conduct of the examination.

He noted that the names of impersonators in the last 10 years would soon be published to serve as deterrent to others, adding added that about 1.99 million candidates had registered for the examination.

He called on the candidates to ensure they comply with the rules and regulations of the examinations

Loading...
Continue Reading

News

Govt shut down three institutions with reasons

Published

on

By

 

The Governor of Osun State, Adegboyega Oyetola, has ordered the closure of three tertiary institutions in the state following a protest which turned violent in Ilesa.

Oyetola condemning the incident said the closure was with immediate effect.

The state government announced this in a statement by the Chief Press Secretary to the governor, Adeniyi Adesina.

The statement reads: “Following the unwarranted destruction of public property by irate members of the public in Ilesa, Osun State Governor Adegboyega Oyetola on Monday night ordered the closure of three higher institutions of learning.

“The affected schools are Osun State College of Education, Ilesa, Osun State College of Health Technology, Ilesa, and Osun State College of Technology, Esa Oke.

“The closure is with immediate effect, the government would not hesitate to take further drastic action, should the need arises in order to protect the lives and properties of the people.”

Governor Oyetola further assured residents of the state of safety, adding that the government is on top of the security situation in Ilesa and in all parts of the state.

Loading...
Continue Reading

Trending

WhatsApp Join Our WhatsApp Chat
%d bloggers like this: