The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in Anambra State has said it has taken delivery of all sensitive materials needed for the smooth conduct of the Feb. 16 Presidential and National elections.
Dr Nkwachukwu Orji, the Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC) made the disclosure while briefing journalists at the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) in Awka on Thursday.
He said that the materials for the 21 Local Government Areas had been sorted out and would be escorted to the council areas by securities operatives deployed for INEC elections.
The REC said that all the 21 Divisional Police Officers in the state were on ground to collect the batch allocated to their various council areas.
Orji promised that all materials would be deposited in their council areas on or before 6pm.
He said: “the commission has received full replacement of all election materials gutted by fire in our storage on Feb. 12. We are ready to conduct smooth elections come Feb. 16 and March 2,” he added.
Mr Williams Odumu, Chief Superintendent of Police and Operations Officer in the police Command in Anambra, said that the command witnessed the delivery of the sensitive materials to the INEC personnel.
Odumu pledged the determination of the police to discharge their duties by ensuring that all the electoral sensitive materials got to their destination without hitches.
The state Chairman of the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA), Chief Norbert Obi expressed joy at the process being applied by the INEC in the collection and sorting of the sensitive materials.
Obi, who was represented by Mr Ogonna Obi, a member of the party, said that the process was very transparent and commendable.
Chief Ndubuisi Nwobu, State Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) also expressed satisfaction at the process of the delivery used by the commission and hoping it would continue throughout the election period.
Nwobu, who was represented by Mr Obi Nwokwu, said that the delivery of the materials to the INEC officers was commendable, urging the commission to maintain the tempo of its transparency.
Mr Kingsley Ezekwum, a party agent for the All Progressive Congress (APC) said that he witnessed the electoral process of delivery of sensitive materials to INEC and prayed that it would remain open in its operations during the elections.
INEC took delivery of the sensitive materials for the Feb. 16 general elections in the presence of about thirty political parties, security agents, media and some observers.
JAMB reveals how 2019 UTME will be conducted
Ahead of Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME), Prof. Ishaq Oloyede, Registrar, Joint Admission and Matriculations Board (JAMB), said the board has introduced new innovations for successful conduct of 2019 UTME.
NAN reports that Oloyede made this known in Abuja on Monday at the meeting of critical stakeholders on strategic planning and preparations for supervision and evaluation of administration of 2019 UTME slated to hold between April 11 and April 15.
He said a robust item backed with appropriate safeguard had been developed by moving toward open examination with one million questions per subject which would soon be effected.
“A separate indicator had also been created for the deaf (mute) to differentiate them for special attention at the examination centre. Efforts are on to provide option of special centres or mainstreaming for the blind.
“We now have live report on centres that registered any candidate, the time the candidate was registered, who registered the candidate, computer system used, the location of registration.
“All these are done through our enhanced monitoring system. I want to warn candidates expected to sit for its examination to ensure their biometrics were taken and verified or risk sitting for the examination,’’ he said.
He called on candidates to comply with the rules of engagement governing the registration and examination of the UTME.
According to him, biometric verification will be the only mode for admittance of candidates into the examination centres.
He added that increasing threat of identity fraud during the UTME before the advent of BVM necessitated its introduction for capturing the biometrics of candidates to counter fraud.
“Any candidate that cannot be verified by the Biometric Verification Mode (BVM) must not be allowed to take the examination under any guise.
“All candidates whose fingerprints could not be captured during registration from centres across the country were brought to JAMB Headquarters and were registered appropriately.
“In other words, exemption mode is not allowed for any candidate. Therefore, no biometric verification, no examination,” Oloyede warned.
The registrar added that the use of email/password would not be allowed by cyber cafe operators as it had now been classified as an offence for cyber cafe to ask for password before rendering services.
Oloyede said the board held an international round-table on cheating devices in December 2017 where various technology devices used for examination further said that Automated Teller Machine (ATM) was added to the list of prohibited items during its examinations.
He said other items prohibited are wristwatches, recorders, earpieces, mobile phones, Bluetooth devices, smart lenses, erasers, smart buttons and spy reading glasses, among others.
The registrar said the board had approved the use of 708 Computer Based Test (CBT) centres across the country for the conduct of the examination.
He noted that the names of impersonators in the last 10 years would soon be published to serve as deterrent to others, adding added that about 1.99 million candidates had registered for the examination.
He called on the candidates to ensure they comply with the rules and regulations of the examinations
Govt shut down three institutions with reasons
The Governor of Osun State, Adegboyega Oyetola, has ordered the closure of three tertiary institutions in the state following a protest which turned violent in Ilesa.
Oyetola condemning the incident said the closure was with immediate effect.
The state government announced this in a statement by the Chief Press Secretary to the governor, Adeniyi Adesina.
The statement reads: “Following the unwarranted destruction of public property by irate members of the public in Ilesa, Osun State Governor Adegboyega Oyetola on Monday night ordered the closure of three higher institutions of learning.
“The affected schools are Osun State College of Education, Ilesa, Osun State College of Health Technology, Ilesa, and Osun State College of Technology, Esa Oke.
“The closure is with immediate effect, the government would not hesitate to take further drastic action, should the need arises in order to protect the lives and properties of the people.”
Governor Oyetola further assured residents of the state of safety, adding that the government is on top of the security situation in Ilesa and in all parts of the state.
Sport2 months ago
Another Arsenal player is set to be out for weeks “More bad news for Unai Emery”
Music2 months ago
AUDIO: Lil Frosh Ft. Small Doctor – Sonto Poilo Firi Yahoo
Business2 months ago
Don’t know how to make money? Here are our proven ways to make money fast
Tech2 months ago
MTN Users | How To Get 5GB For ₦50 (Valid For One Week)
Business1 month ago
Being successful is easier than you think!