ELECTION 2019: Tinubu tells Nigerians what to do — Fastest Delivery Of Magazine
Connect with us

Published

on

The All Progressives National Leader, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, has expressed disappointment over the postponement of the presidential and national assembly elections by the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC.

Tinubu, in a statement he personally signed on Saturday, said though, he acknowledged the enormity of the logistical challenge that elections poses to INEC, he was still pained that the Commission could not meet this challenge within the time allotted.

He, however, urged Nigerians who intended to vote to maintain their commitment and not be discouraged by the latest development.

He said, “Do not allow this delay to deter you from the expression of your democratic rights. What you had set your mind to do on February 16, keep your mind and heart on for February 23.

“We are also perplexed that INEC literally waited so late in the day to make known the obstacles preventing it from keeping faith to the schedule. INEC could have and should have given the nation more ample and earlier warning. This could have perhaps lessened the pervasive disappointment that we all now feel. It also would have helped people better order their steps”.

“As the National Leader of the All Progressives Congress and simply as a Nigerian, I must express my profound concern and dissatisfaction with the unexpected, late hour postponement of the presidential and national assembly elections by INEC. According to INEC, the one-week postponement of the election from February 16 to February 23 was compelled by logistical difficulties encountered by the commission in transporting essential election material to polling in various parts of the country.

“While we appreciate the enormity of the logistical challenge that elections in a vast nation like ours poses to INEC, we are still pained that the Commission could not meet this challenge within the time allotted. We are also perplexed that INEC literally waited so late in the day to make known the obstacles preventing it from keeping faith to the election schedule. INEC could have and should have given the nation more ample and earlier warning. This could have perhaps lessened the pervasive disappointment that we all now feel. It also would have helped people better order their steps today.

“We have reports of eager voters rising early to leave their homes to cast their ballots only to be told upon arriving at their appointed polling stations that the election had been postponed. This should not have happened for it could well discourage people from coming out when the election takes place. Thus, we heartily commend those people for coming out in exercise of their fundamental rights and duties as citizen voters, who vote by vote, seek to build and perfect our democracy. For each voter is in part an architect and each one of your votes is a brick by which, when lain together, shall construct a strong democracy in such a way that it shall forever stand and endure. Thus, we appeal to all who actually came out to vote and to those who intended to vote today, to maintain your commitment. Do not allow this delay to deter you from the expression of your democratic rights. What you had set your mind to do on February 16, keep your mind and heart on for February 23.

“INEC has stated the reason for the delay and has expressed regret over the inconveniences it has caused. We must take INEC’s statement at face value and hold to the belief that INEC understands even more than ever the sober and grave responsibility it has to our nation and our democracy. INEC can only properly discharge that responsibility by conducting free and fair elections. While we cannot go back to repair what did or did not happen to cause this postponement, we all must encourage INEC to do all that is necessary so voting can smoothly proceed on February 23. Whatever our political affiliation, we must encourage INEC to overcome the difficulties in order to rise to this most important occasion. INEC must commit itself more than ever before to perform to its utmost so that these elections will be remembered as a free and fair exercise consonant with the best of international standards.

“In the end, elections must be held in such a manner that every vote carries the same weight and no vote is minimized because elections took place much earlier or later in one place than in another. Thus, it is better to experience a slight delay to conduct the elections properly rather than to conduct the elections piecemeal and uneven . No one will absolve INEC if such a fate befalls this all-important election. The electoral body must use the one-week extension mend its logistics gaps and lapses. This delay has clearly provoked significant anger and disappointment among the people. The voters were ready and INEC should have been equally as prepared and ready as the voters. Yet, we ask that the people contain their anger and remain calm. Let no one be tempted to breach the peace because of this delay.

“In the greater scheme of things, a one-week delay is not overly burdensome when compared to the importance of conduct of free and just elections in the establishment of representative democracy and good governance in our land. Please, persevere just a bit longer to ensure that the elections on February 23 truly reflect the will of the people. Whatever obstacles may come, be they large or small, let us show the world the Nigerian people will not be deterred from realizing the democracy for which we have fought and sacrificed so long and so hard to achieve.”

Loading...

Abass Sulaiman Adegoke, well known as Adegoke is a student of Federal Polytechnic Ede studying Civil Engineering, He is a media enthusiast, loves traveling, and has a special interest in personal development.

Politics

APC, Ajimobi reveal plans to sack Oyo governor-elect, Seyi Makinde

Published

on

By

The Oyo State Chapter of the All Progressives has urged its members and supporters to start working immediately towards taking back power from the governor-elect, Seyi Makinde, of the Peoples Democratic Party’s in 2023.

The party also said it would challenge the outcome of the governorship in places where there were glaring irregularities.

These were the highlights of the communiqué issued at the end of the expanded meeting of the APC leaders drawn from the 33 local government areas of the state, which was presided over by the Governor Abiola Ajimobi, at the Government House, Ibadan, yesterday.

NEWS

Ajimobi, APC reveal plans to sack Oyo governor-elect, Seyi Makinde

Published

on

By

 

The Oyo State Chapter of the All Progressives Congress has urged its members and supporters to start working immediately towards taking back power from the governor-elect, Seyi Makinde, of the Peoples Democratic Party’s in 2023.

The party also said it would challenge the outcome of the governorship election in places where there were glaring irregularities.

These were the highlights of the communiqué issued at the end of the expanded meeting of the APC leaders drawn from the 33 local government areas of the state, which was presided over by the Governor Abiola Ajimobi, at the Government House, Ibadan, yesterday.

Passing a vote of confidence in the Ajimobi-led administration, the APC said it was impressed by its unprecedented achievements and impressive performance in its historic eight-year tenure.

The communiqué by the state Publicity Secretary of the APC, Dr AbdulAzeez Olatunde, urged members to be happy and take solace in the feat already recorded by the progressives, having been given the chance to rule the state for eight unbroken years.

It read, “Meeting urged members to walk tall and be cheerful because this is the first time the progressives would be opportune to have eight unbroken successive years of governance since the era of the Western Region.

“The party resolved to embrace genuine reconciliation and frown upon factionalisation (within the state APC). The party warn its members to avoid buck passing and blame game, but rather chart a roadmap to 2023 in earnest.”

Loading...
Continue Reading

Politics

I’M RICHER THAN BUHARI – OSIBANJO

Published

on

By

Yemi Osinbajo, vice-president of has claimed that he is richer than the president President Muhammadu Buhari and it has been that way since they were elected into office in 2015.

Osinbajo spoke during a dinner in honour of volunteers who canvassed for votes for the APC during the campaigns for this year’s general , at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

He said “When I looked at his assets declaration form, I was checking it in 2015, I said to him, “Mr President, I am so much richer than you, it is an embarrassment.”

“He said, “I am only a soldier, you are a big lawyer so you should have more money than me. I can tell you that he is perhaps; even poorer than he was in 2015 when I saw his declaration of assets form.”

He also urged Nigerians to vote for the All Progressives in the March 23 supplementary elections.

The supplementary elections will take place in six states of Nigeria where the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, declared last Saturday’s gubernatorial election inconclusive. He said “We are still not done with the elections.

“On the 23rd of March, we still have some outstanding states and as you know we are re-running in about six states. And all of the efforts we need to put into those six states, we still need to do. We can’t afford to slack off and say the job is done; we still have some things to do.”

Recalling the experiences he had during the electioneering, Osinbajo said his encounter with Nigerians as he crisscrossed the country, campaigning for votes, showed that Nigerians are so trusting and supportive of their leaders.

Photo Credit: Premium Times

“I think that one of the main characteristics of the Nigerian is how so supportive and trusting many of our people are and they don’t ask us for too much. They never really ask for anything that is impossible to do.

“And that’s why, for many of us that went around this country, we realized the tremendous amount of work that there is to do and our capacity to do so much work. What our people need, as we discovered, isn’t that much. As a matter of fact, I do not know any nation where the people are so generous no matter how poor they are.

Osinbajo said there was need for the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari to connect more with the people.

“It just struck me that what we really need to do a lot more is to connect with the people. All the people need is opportunity for us to interact with them. We should have a way by which everybody is involved one way or the other.

“One of the complaints that people made about our government is that we were not communicating enough and that people did not know what had done.”

The vice president acknowledged that the diligent communication carried out to put across the APC message in 2015 was not sustained, making the administration lose some ground to the opposition, especially in the social media.

He said the new administration would ensure that it makes change in that regard.

Osinbajo said that he would take up everyone who has challenged the administration on the issue with a view to getting its communication of programmes and policies better.

Speaking at the event, the APC Woman Leader, Salamatu Eluma, commended the volunteers for believing in the vision of the President Buhari and Vice President Osinbajo and working for their re-election.

 

source: Daily Advent

Loading...
Continue Reading

Trending

WhatsApp Join Our WhatsApp Chat
%d bloggers like this: