Buhari defeated his closest challenger, and Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, candidate, Atiku Abubakar with wide margin and was announced by INEC Chairman, Mahmood Yakubu, as winner.
The President-elect made his first point of call at the APC campaign office in Abuja.
Here is full text of his speech:
First and foremost, I give thanks to Almighty God Who has spared our lives to witness another victory for Nigerian democracy and victory for our party APC.
2. I thank the millions of Nigerians who voted to re-elect me as your president for the next four years. I am deeply humbled and profoundly grateful to you for judging me worthy of continuing to serve you and for your peaceful conduct.
3. In particular, I would like to thank Asiwaju Bola Tinubu for his masterful leadership as Co-chair of the Campaign Council. I would like to also thank the Party Chairman Adams Oshiomhole, the Director General of the Campaign Council Rotimi Amaechi, all members of the Presidential Campaign Council and other various Support Groups.
4. My grateful thanks to all those who contributed to the logistical expenses of the campaign in such a vast country like Nigeria.
5. I also thank the millions of volunteers, self-appointed overseers, canvassers, agents, escorts and sentries who sacrificed so much of their time and resources to ensure the success of these elections. I do not have the words adequate to thank them.
6. Although Saturday’s elections were relatively peaceful, troublemakers in a handful of states attempted to disrupt an otherwise orderly process. Security agencies will bring to justice all those arrested in the process.
7. I am very sad at the grievous loss of lives during these elections. Security agencies will step up their efforts to protect voters in the forthcoming State elections.
8. I would like to commend our security agencies, as severely overstretched as they are, for handling the difficult task of securing the country during the election period.
9. I will like to make a special appeal to my supporters not to gloat or humiliate the opposition. Victory is enough reward for your efforts.
10. We give thanks also to our Domestic and International observers for contributing to the success of our elections and for their interest in our country and our developing democracy.
11. The new Administration will intensify its efforts in Security, Restructuring the Economy and Fighting Corruption. We have laid down the foundation and we are committed to seeing matters to the end. We will strive to strengthen our unity and inclusiveness so that no section or group will feel left behind or left out.
12. I thank you for your support and may God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria
OSUN: Reaction of Gov. Oyetola finally to tribunal judgement
The Osun State Governor, Adegboyega Oyetola, has reacted to tribunal ruling sacking him as governor of the state.
An Osun governorship tribunal had on Friday sacked him and declared Ademola Adeleke of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, winner of the last governorship election in the state.
Reacting, Oyetola vowed to challenge the ruling of tribunal at the Appeal Court.
A statement by Wole Oyebamiji, Secretary to the State Government of Osun, said the judgment of the election tribunal had been put on appeal.
Oyetola expressed hope that “justice would prevail at last.”
He also disclosed that law enforcement agencies had been instructed to maintain law and order across the state.
The governor appreciated the support of the majority of the people in all things essential for mutual progress, assuring that the residents of adequate security of lives and properties.
He said, “The Government of the State of Osun wishes to appreciate the teeming support of the majority of the people in all things essential for mutual progress.
“As it is, the administration of His Excellency, Mr. Adegboyega Oyetola, Governor, State of Osun wishes to assure the people that the judgment of the Election Tribunal has been put on appeal.
“This is to further assure all the residents of the State of adequate security of lives and properties, as the Government of the State is still the only legitimate Government having the authority to govern the State.”
“We assure all our people that justice will prevail at last, and the law enforcement agencies have been instructed to maintain law and order across the State.
“We therefore urge all the residents of the State to go about their lawful duties without any hindrance”, the statement read.
‘Osun is dying’ – Oluwo cries out
Sport2 months ago
Another Arsenal player is set to be out for weeks “More bad news for Unai Emery”
Music2 months ago
AUDIO: Lil Frosh Ft. Small Doctor – Sonto Poilo Firi Yahoo
Business2 months ago
Don’t know how to make money? Here are our proven ways to make money fast
Tech2 months ago
MTN Users | How To Get 5GB For ₦50 (Valid For One Week)
Business1 month ago
Being successful is easier than you think!