Connect with us
//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

Published

on

 calling three of its proposed six witnesses in the case filed against Walter Onnoghen, the suspended Chief Justice of (CJN), the Nigerian government has closed its case.

Onoghen is standing trial on allegations bordering on fraudulent declaration of assets.

At the resumed hearing on Thursday before the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT), Aliyu Umar (SAN), who led the prosecution counsel, closed its case after the third witness, Ifeoma Okeagbue, an official of Standard Chartered Bank, concluded her testimony.

Umar also offered to hand over the remaining three witnesses to the defence team. However, Chief Adegboyega Awomolo (SAN), the lead defence counsel, rejected the .

Afterwards, with the permission of the three-man bench chaired by Danladi Umar, Awomolo consulted with Onnoghen, who was docked. He then announced that the defendant had taken the option to file a no-case submission, but sought time to write an address.

“We intend to take advantage of Section 303 of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act 2015 on no-case submission. If your lordship permits me to write a written address, I am praying to be given proceedings of 18th and today,” he stated.

The CCT Chairman then fixed March 29 for counsel to adopt their written addresses.

 

Source: Sahara R

Loading...

Abass Sulaiman Adegoke, well known as Adegoke is a student of Federal Polytechnic Ede studying Civil Engineering, He is a media enthusiast, loves traveling, and has a special interest in personal development.

Advertisement //pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "pub-7404936528073869", enable_page_level_ads: true });
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Police deploy 5,200 personnel to monitor Saturday’s LG election in Benue

Published

on

By

Police deploy 5,200 personnel to monitor Saturday’s LG election in Benue Nigeria Police Force 2

 

Police deploy 5,200 personnel to monitor Saturday’s LG election in Benue Nigeria Police Force 2 300x200

Government election in the state.
The State Police Commissioner, Mr. Garba Mukkadas made this known Friday while briefing newsmen on the preparedness of the command to ensure a hitch-free election in the state.
He said the command would partner sister security agencies to ensure that the process went without any major incidents.
Representing by the Command’s Public Relations Officer, Deputy Superintendent, DSP, Catherine Anene, Mr. Mukkadas said preparation for the election was a sequel to a letter from the Benue State Independent Electoral Commission, BEDIEC, intimating the command of a new date for the rescheduled election.
He said “BESIEC had written to inform us that the local government election which was postponed earlier in the year due to the outbreak of the Coronavirus has been rescheduled for May 30, 2020.

“It is on that premise that we have deployed 5,200 of our personnel to provide security at the polling units and ensure peaceful conduct of the election.
“We will do this in partnership with sister security agencies and in carrying out that function our personnel have been provided face masks and pocket hand sanitizers to protect them from COVID-19.
“BESIEC has also informed us that they are providing their personnel Personal Protective Equipment, PPE, and will also ensure that the World Health Organization’s protocol on COVID-19 strictly adheres to by the electorates and all those that have one role or the other to play on the election day,” the Police Commissioner said.
He also explained that the command had not imposed movement restrictions on election day except for the subsisting 8 pm to 6am curfew impose by the state government to restrict movements in order to contain the spread of Coronavirus in the state.

Loading...
Continue Reading

News

251 illegal miners arrested in Zamfara

Published

on

By

251 illegal miners arrested in Zamfara Zamfara state map

251 illegal miners arrested in Zamfara Zamfara state map 300x168

 

Security agents have arrested 251 illegal miners in Zamfara State .
The Commissioner of Police , Usman Nagoggo , made this known while briefing journalists on Friday .
He said , “On 21 May, 2020 the Brigade Commander 1 Brigade Army, Gusau Brigadier General O . M Bello led a team , comprising Army, Police , and Department of State Services to raid the mining sites in Anka , Bukkuyum and Gummi Local Government Areas.
“The raiding of Kawaye , Zugu , Dan Kamfani , Bagega , Dareta and Dakie Takwas mining sites of the above LGAs led to the arrest 250 Nigerians and one Burkinabe national .”
The commissioner said the Federal Government had last year banned all forms of mining activities in the state
“This is because the government felt that there was a link between the criminality in Zamfara and mining activities ,” he added .

According to the commissioner , the illegal miners were arrested based on an intelligence report that some unpatriotic Nigerians and foreigners were engaging in illegal mining activities .
Nagoggo maintained that all the suspects have confessed to the offence and would be arraigned .
He warned that “anybody who goes against the norms will be arrested and severely dealt with according to the laws of the land” .
Nagoggo stressed that the raiding of illegal miners would be a continuous process until all illegal mining activities were brought to.

Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Inspirational Tips

Advertisement
Loading...

Trending

WhatsApp Join Our WhatsApp Chat
%d bloggers like this: