Connect with us
//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

Published

on

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board, , has continued to explain why it is yet to release the result of the 2019 Unified Tertiary Matriculation , UTME.

The unsual delay has created room for anxiety and suspicion among some Nigerians.

Dr. Fabian Benjamin, JAMB spokesman, told The Sun on Saturday, that they appreciate the anxiety and concerns of candidates.

He, however, requested that JAMB be allowed to do the necessary things before releasing the result.

He said that though results were released pretty much earlier in 2017 and 2018, it was necessary for the board to improve on its credibility this time around.

According to him, many candidates had in the past, escaped with illegitimate acts they perpetrated during the UTME exercise, but that won’t be allowed to continue.

He said JAMB would take its time and scrutinise the outcome of the exercise to ensure that tertiary institutions are proud of whatever they get from JAMB.

He added, “We are gatekeepers but the entire security system of the house could be compromised, if we refuse to keep the gate.

“We would strictly follow the process so that we can get it right. We are less concerned about the time, but (more about) how well and credible (the results become); neither policy meeting nor admission will start this month. So, the delay will not affect any item on our timetable.

“The UTME results are intact and nothing has happened to them. No server has crashed and no other major challenge. The 2019 UTME exercise recorded malpractices but they were not as bad as they used to be.

“Even in previous examinations, there were malpractices but nobody noticed because of the way we handled them. We are not ashamed to admit that there are issues. But our pride is in getting it right. Once we get it right, it will serve as a message that it’s no longer business as usual.

“Illegality had thrived in the society of over the years because people failed to follow issues to (their) logical conclusion. But we have decided to do otherwise, and we need the support of Nigerians to achieve that.”

“Tertiary institutions who are our end users would also be proud of it.

“Our target is that candidates that commit any offence should not go unpunished. At same time, we don’t want any innocent candidate to be punished unjustly.”

 

Source: Daily Post

Loading...

Abass Sulaiman Adegoke, well known as Adegoke is a student of Federal Polytechnic Ede studying Civil Engineering, He is a media enthusiast, loves traveling, and has a special interest in personal development.

Advertisement //pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "pub-7404936528073869", enable_page_level_ads: true });
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Education

BREAKING: No reopening of schools for now – FG.. Full Details

Published

on

By

BREAKING: No reopening of schools for now – FG.. Full Details Boss Mustapha

BREAKING: No reopening of schools for now – FG.. Full Details Boss Mustapha 300x180

The Federal Government has said that schools would remain closed “for now .
The Presidential Taskforce on COVID – 19 made this known during its daily briefing on Monday.
While giving an update on the PTF announcement , the Personal Assistant on New Media to @MBuhari, Bashir Ahmad , tweeted , “For now , all the schools are to remain closed , the Presidential Task Force on COVID – 19 announces the directive .
“The Presidential Task Force on COVID – 19 has requested the Aviation Industry to start developing protocols for domestic flights to possibly resume from June 21 .
“The interstate travel remains prohibited except for goods and essential travel , the Presidential Task Force on COVID -19 announces .

Loading...
Continue Reading

Education

COVID-19: PTF submits recommendations on reopening of schools, places of worships

Published

on

By

COVID-19: PTF submits recommendations on reopening of schools, places of worships SGF Boss Mustapha

 

COVID-19: PTF submits recommendations on reopening of schools, places of worships SGF Boss Mustapha

The Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 has  submitted parts of its recommendations on partial reopening of schools, places of worships and some additional businesses for possible consideration by President Muhammadu Buhari.

The chairman of the PTF, who is also the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, made this known to State House correspondents at the end of a closed door meeting with President Buhari at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

According to him, the PTF has no problem with state governments that ordered reopening of places of worships in view of the power given to the states to do so by the constitution, adding that the states are sub-nationals.

He said: “That’s part of what we have considered in its totality. We will await Mr President’s on that, once I receive his approval, going forward, to certain recommendations we have put in place, we will know how that would happen.

“The issue of easing up, you know we are in the first phase, we had an extension of two weeks for the first phase, the next phase should be the second phase and along with that will come in with a lot of recommendations, which we expect Mr President to consider.

“So, the issues of places of worships; the issues of schools; the issues of some certain businesses that were not opened hitherto are part of the packages that we have looked at.

“We have made the appropriate recommendations, but you know that Mr President is the only one that can take decisions in respect of that.

“In the framework, the states are sub-nationals, they have their own responsibilities too.

“So, it is in the exercise of those responsibilities that they had meetings with those religious bodies and agreed on the guidelines and protocols on how they open up, but in the framework of the national response we are taking that into consideration.’’

On whether Nigeria is winning the fight against COVID-19, considering the rate of infections, Mustapha said:

“We are winning. As a matter of fact, you juxtapose the rate of cases with our fatality rate, which is basically about three per cent, in other countries and other climes, it’s over 10 per cent.

“But the most important thing that you will realise, when we started this exercise, we had only five testing stations, now we’ve ramped it up to 28, without the expected increase in the number of deaths.

“We have gone beyond 60,000 now, that reflects in the number of confirmed cases

“We have not reached the peak yet and I won’t want to fool Nigerians by telling them that we are out of the woods. No, we are not out of the woods.

“As we even open up and accommodate more enterprises, because we are trying to have a balance between livelihoods and life, there’s a likelihood of increase in transmission in cases,’’ he said.

Mustapha assured that essential parts of the economy would continue opening up to boost socio-economic activities across the country.

“We have started, even in the first phase and the extension that came with it.

“Essential parts of the economy was opening up by way of allowing agricultural production, people that produce fertilizers.

“The oil and gas industry was never closed for one day and some aspects of the financial sector were opened.

“After we receive Mr President’s approval tonight or tomorrow morning, we will now know which segment of the economy he has allowed to open,’’ he further revealed

Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Inspirational Tips

Advertisement
Loading...

Trending

WhatsApp Join Our WhatsApp Chat
%d bloggers like this: