Reason why 15-Year-Old Ekele Franklin, Best 2019 UTME Candidate, May Not Be Offered Admission By UNILAG
Connect with us
//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

Published

on

 

 

reason why 15-year-old ekele franklin, best 2019 utme candidate, may not be offered admission by unilag Reason why 15-Year-Old Ekele Franklin, Best 2019 UTME Candidate, May Not Be Offered Admission By UNILAG JAMB CBT 1 300x199

 

The Joint Admissions And Matriculation Board announced the results for the 2019 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination in the early hours of Saturday.

From the breakdown and analysis given by Ishaq Oloyede, the Registrar of the board, it became pretty clear that, just like last year, another precocious student, emerged as the overall best student.

Ekele Franklin, 15, is this year’s superstar!

To score the highest mark in UTME, at whatever age, is no mean feat. To do it at the age of 15, when most of your contemporaries are still tied to their mother’s apron strings, is breathtakingly incredible. And when you consider the number of candidates that sat for the Examination(over 1.7million!) Franklin and his kith and kin have every reason to be on cloud noun. The teenager from Imo state is now the envy of his age-mates.

However, Franklin’s joy may be short-lived, the impressive result may not secure him the desired admission for this reason.

Is it fair, however, that such a brilliant mind be held back by age?

An Unwritten But Attractive Law
There is an unwritten law, effective though, that puts a limit on the age by which a student can start his/her academic odyssey in any public University in Nigeria.

According to the unwritten law, the ‘standard’ and official age for admission into public University is Sixteen(16). The admission seeker is expected to be sixteen by the 1st of October in the year of admission if not all is the hope of securing admission will be a mirage.

For the reason, Franklin whose official age might not be offered admission for his dream course at the University of Lagos, come to the beginning of a new session except he is 16 by then.

Are There Precedents?
Yes. Thousands of brilliant admission seekers had been denied admission solely because of this unwritten but active law. Though most of the people that had been at the receiving end of this law are faceless, a case will suffice; That of Faith Oluwatomi Oyende.

Faith Oluwatomi Oyende, at the age of 21(now a graduate of biochemistry), graduated with a 4.68 cumulative grade point average, CGPA, to emerge the best graduating student from the Faculty of Science at the 21st convocation ceremony of Lagos State University (LASU).

While answering questions from the Vanguard Newspaper last year on how she achieved the feat, Faith said: “It is a long story. I actually wanted to become a medical doctor. But I was denied admission at both University of Lagos, UNILAG, and LASU because I was not yet 16years old.

Having finished secondary school at age 15, I wrote and passed the Joint Admission Matriculation Board Examination. But during the post-JAMB test, I was told I must have completed 16 years on or before October 1, 2011. Unfortunately, I was to be 16 on January 1, 2012.”

The same fate befell the brilliant Orishenye Okorogheye who, after having A1 in the students he sat for in May/June 2018 WASSCE, emerged as the best UTME candidate in 2018 at the age of 15 as well. He was stopped in his tracks while trying to apply to UNILAG for Post-UTME despite scoring 332.

Justification Of The Law
There are many justifications for this Law both from academics and counsellors. The summary of which is that most of the under-16 brilliant students are not ’emotionally mature

Loading...

Lawal Abdulsalam, Student of civil engineering, student from federal polytechnic Ede if you don't know Lawal Abdulsalam then perhaps you started blogging yesterday.He runs one of the most popular blogs on internet.

Advertisement //pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "pub-7404936528073869", enable_page_level_ads: true });
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

South West Governors react to call by Northern elders that Fulani herdsmen should leave Southern region

Published

on

By

South West Governors react to call by Northern elders that Fulani herdsmen should leave Southern region south west governors

South-West Governors Forum has reacted to a recent call by Northern Elders Forum, NEF, asking herdsmen to leave the Southern region of the country and return to the North.

Governors of the South West said the call was most unfortunate, divisive and retrogressive.

The Chairman of NEF, Prof. Ango Abdullahi, had in a press conference in Abuja on Tuesday, claimed that there was a move by some trouble elements to engage herders with violence in the Southern part of the country, while directing the herders to return to the North.

South-West Governors’ reaction was contained in a statement personally signed by the Forum’s Chairman and Ondo State Governor, Oluwarotimi Akeredolu on Friday.

The statement added, ”With no intention to engage anyone, it is incumbent on us, as elected representatives of our people in the South West Region of the country, to denounce this divisive and retrogressive statement in the strongest terms possible.

“The Southwest Governors viewed the report with palpable trepidation and outrage, the sustained attempts to fan the ember of discord, seizing every opportunity offered by the current security challenge to undermine the unity and peaceful co-existence among Nigerians.”

“It is appalling, to assert the least, that the tragic incident, which claimed the life of Mrs. Funke Olakunrin, the daughter of Pa Fasoranti, the leader of Afenifere, would be used by certain persons to advance the cause of parochial and prebendal politics.

“We intend to get to the root of the sad occurrence as we await the findings of security agencies on the unfortunate incident.”

“The governors and the people of the South West are working assiduously, at the current security challenges with a view to finding lasting solutions to curtail the nefarious activities of undesirable elements bent on wrecking our collective peace.

”We are not unaware of the antics of certain elements, who hope to garner political mileage from the contrived crises in virtually all parts of the country.

“We are equally convinced that this confusion serves the narrow interests of some persons.

“The country has a rich history; she has had to encounter adversities in the course of her transition to nationhood.

“She has overcome them all. This distraction will also pass. We look up to the security agencies to take cohesive steps to curtail this major challenge of insecurity which engenders hopelessness.

“We can only enjoin all citizens, on our part, to be patient and continue to cooperate with them as they combat the festering crises.

“We on our part have taken great strides with the hope that great success will be achieved.

“We, however, note, with discomfiture, the unpatriotic acts of some Nigerians, who will stop at nothing in their bid to undermine the Federal Government.”

Loading...
Continue Reading

News

Buhari vs Atiku: I got presidential election results from website operated by INEC official – ICT expert tells tribunal

Published

on

By

Buhari vs Atiku: I got presidential election results from website operated by INEC official – ICT expert tells tribunal Buhari Atiku 1 1

An ICT expert from Kenya, David Ayu Nyango Njoga on Friday said he retrieved the results of the 2019 presidential election from a server allegedly operated by the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC.

Njong, who is a petitioner’s witness, told the Presidential Election Petition Tribunal that the results of the last elections were stored in a server allegedly operated by INEC.

According to Njoga, he only got the report which he later analysed from a third party website: “www.factdontlieng.com”.

Claiming that the information was provided by an INEC official, Njoga informed the tribunal that the alleged INEC official acted as an anonymous person.

When asked if the website belonged to INEC, he said no but by a whistle-blower.

Njonga said the website was created on March 12, 2019.

When reminded that the presidential election held on February 23 and the results were released before March 12, the witness went mute.

Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Inspirational Tips

Advertisement
Loading...

Trending

WhatsApp Join Our WhatsApp Chat
%d bloggers like this: