Connect with us
//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

Published

on

 

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court, Ibadan Judicial Division, on Tuesday, rejected a plea bargain arrangement prepared to secure a light punishment for one Hassan Adesegun Adewale, who was found guilty of cybercrimes.

 

Hassan, who was arraigned on a one-count amended charge of fraudulent impersonation by the Ibadan zonal office of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, had entered into the arrangement that proposed a six-month jail term as punishment for the crime.

But the judge held that the proposed punishment “was too light”, adding that it would not serve the purpose of deterrence for which it was meant. He rather slammed him with one year jail.

READ ALSO  Video + Photo - Lady Receives Mob Action After Being Accused Of Stealing Manhood In Osun.

According to the charge, on October 17, 2018, Adewale fraudulently impersonated one Jessy West Reade with the intent to gain advantage for himself from one Larry Obrien.

The offence was contrary to Section 22 (4) (a) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention Etc) Act, 2015 and punishable under section 22(4) of the same Act.

READ ALSO  $30m fraud: FBI charges Nigerians, releases names

The court ordered him to restitute the sum of $1000 to his victim, through the Federal Government of Nigeria.

He was also to forfeit one Iphone X-Max, Nokia 105 Phone, Hp Laptop to the Federal Government of Nigeria.

 

Meanwhile, the Ibadan zonal office of the Commission also secured the conviction of Adeyemi Damilare and Oludare Biodun.

Loading...
Advertisement //pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "pub-7404936528073869", enable_page_level_ads: true });
54 Comments

54 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

ICYMI: Returning looted goods may not save you from prosecution -Police

Published

on

By

The Commissioner of Police, FCT Command , Bala Ciroma , said this on NTA’ s Good Morning Nigeria programme on Wednesday .
Ciroma said stealing remains a crime in Nigeria and the return of looted goods doesn ’ t change the fact that a crime has been committed .
The police commissioner , however , said cases would be handled based on their merit .
Responding to a question , he said , “ In a situation where people come to return goods , the fact remains did you commit an offence or not ? We will get our legal experts to look at it and we will decide what to do with it .
“ We will conclude our investigations and the legal experts will look at it accordingly but the fact remains that a crime has been committed . ”The CP stated that the police had been able to arrest several persons who looted warehouses and some properties had been recovered.
He promised residents that all those arrested would be prosecuted .
Ciroma said the police were still investigating the burning of vehicles in the Apo area of Abuja where hoodlums hijacked the # EndSARS protests last Monday.

READ ALSO  Gunmen attack Kogi village, kill 13 family members

Loading...
Continue Reading

Crime

#EndSars: Hoodlums begin dumping of looted items at waste bins in Calabar

Published

on

By

As security operatives commenced intensive house to house search for looted public and private properties within Calabar metropolis, suspected hoodlums have started dumping items into waste bins and various hiding locations around the city.
This is coming barely few hours after the Commissioner of police, Abdulkadir Jimoh announced a 24 hours grace for looters to return such items or face the full wrath of the law.
Recall that hoodlums at the weekend wreaked havoc in the capital city of Calabar in the guise of EndDARS protest, thereby looting and destroying COVID-19 palliative and State Emergency Management Agency, SEMA, warehouses, some government institutions, politicians’ houses and private business premises were equally looted and destroyed in the process.
This led to imposition of dusk-to-dusk curfew and subsequent takeover of major streets and roads by stern-looking military officers just as they have carfoned off streets linking Calabar South with Calabar Municipality.
Findings by Vanguard showed that youths at Mbukpa, Edibedibe, in Calabar South and Eta Agbor, Ikot Effa and Asari Iso in Calabar Municipality have taken the lead by dropping the items either on the road or into waste bins.
At Mbukpa market, items looted from Infectious Disease Hospital, IDH, were said to have been dumped beside the waste bins there, while at Edibedibe some electronics and chairs are said to be dumped on the roadside.
At Ikot Effa, along Parliamentary axis, some youths have hurriedly dropped the stolen items including TV sets, generating sets, some beddings and mattresses at road side.
READ ALSO: Kaduna Govt Orders Arrest Of Looters Of COVID-19 Palliative
At Asari Iso, the community people took the lead by employing a town crier who spoke in Efik language, calling on all those who participated in looting the house of Sen. Gershom Bassey and other state and private property to immediately return them.
The town crier, who moved round as early as 5:00am today, said: “All those who looted the properties of Sen. Gershom Bassey should drop it on the road, this is the order of the community.”
An eye-witness, Imaobong Solomon , said: “At Ikot Effa and Asari Iso, the youths in the areas have started panicking as soldiers have been patrolling the area. They are also afraid of community wrath, so they have to drop them on the roads.
“Some of them have gone into hiding for fear of arrest just as some of them have dropped stolen items on road sides so that security people can pick it up.”
At Anantigha and Mbukpa, a resident at Jebbs Street in Calabar South, Akparawa Akpan, said soldiers are combing some flash points looking for the hoodlums since morning.
He said: “We commend Governor Ben Ayade for taking these drastic measures to restore sanity in the state. These hoodlums were almost taking over our Ancient City of Calabar and have destroyed our common heritage.
“But we are happy that the military are everywhere and they should be allowed to take charge, especially in Calabar South, which us the base of miscreants.”
Meanwhile, the Senior Special Assistant on Non-Indigens Affairs ( Igbo) to Governor Ayade, Ugoji Nwabueze, Esq, has advised Igbo businessmen in Cross River to be careful not to buy or aid the transportation of the looted /stolen items as the looters may by now be desperately looking for buyers.
Condemning in totality the level of destruction and looting, Nwabueze said: “l call on Igbo resident in all parts of the state to resist the temptation of buying any item from an unknown source even at cheaper rate.

READ ALSO  Farm guard fired shot that killed Oyo farmer’s fiance – CP

Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Inspirational Tips

Advertisement
Loading...

Trending

WhatsApp Join Our WhatsApp Chat
%d bloggers like this: