ASUP Wants President Buhari To Sign Polytechnic Act (Amendment) Bill
Connect with us
//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

Published

on

The Academic Staff Union of Polytechnics (ASUP) on Wednesday appealed to Muhammadu to sign the Polytechnic Act (Amendment) Bill to address many challenges confronting the sector. Its National , Mr Usman Dutse, told the News Agency of in that the union was waiting for the President’s assent to the bill.

Dutse said all observations cited by the president during the Eight Assembly had been rectified, corrected and transmitted. According to him, the bill had passed through all legislative processes and all observations made by the President initially, had been addressed. “We are looking forward to his assent on the bill to improve the polytechnic sector in the country as he assumes for the second term.

“We are waiting, and we are appealing that Mr President should sign the bill into law, because it will help in moving the sector forward. “The bill when signed into law will address all the bureaucracies in the sector, minimise internal rumblings and problems as well as industrial harmony in the sector,” Dutse said. The ASUP president recalled that similar attempts were made in the past on the bill, but the president withheld his assent.

“We have made similar attempts during the sixth and seventh assembly, which did not see the light of the day because of some delays. “We are hoping that this bill will be signed because, in the first instance, the bill was sent, but the president withheld his assent due to some observations. “However, those observations have been amended and the Bill returned to him. “We believe that now, there should be no other observation; we hope that the president will assent to the bill,” he said. Dutse added that the new Act would improve productivity and best practices in Polytechnics and Monotechnics across the country.

Loading...

Abass Sulaiman Adegoke, well known as Adegoke is a student of Federal Polytechnic Ede studying Civil Engineering, He is a media enthusiast, loves traveling, and has a special interest in personal development.

Advertisement //pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "pub-7404936528073869", enable_page_level_ads: true });
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Education

FPE cutoff marks for 2019/2020 is out

Published

on

By

FPE cutoff marks for 2019/2020 is out FedPolyEde Admsn Informtn 20190912 133204

Federal polytechnic ede just released her cut off marks 2018/2019 check belowFPE cutoff marks for 2019/2020 is out IMG 20190912 WA0094 225x300

Loading...
Continue Reading

Education

Federal University shut down over attack on First Lady, SUG disbanded

Published

on

By

Federal University shut down over attack on First Lady, SUG disbanded protesters 1024x576

Following the attack on the convoy of the First Lady of Ekiti State, Erelu Bisi Fayemi by protesting students of Federal University, Oye Ekiti(FUOYE) on Tuesday, the authorities of the Federal University has closed down the school indefinitely.

In a statement signed by the Vice-Chancellor of the university, Prof. Kayode Soremekun on Wednesday, the management also proscribed the students’ union government in the institution, henceforth.

Students of the university had on Tuesday held a violent protest to demand for the restoration of electricity to the two campuses in Oye and Ikole, where cars on the convoy of the First lady, who was on a local government tour were destroyed and many sustained bodily injuries in the process.

He said, “We hereby announce the immediate and indefinite closure of the university to forestall further breakdown of law and order.

“In the same vein, the students’ union of the institution is disbanded indefinitely.

“Following this closure, the students population are hereby ordered to vacate the university premises no later than 10 am tomorrow 11th September 2019.

“Further developments will be communicated in due course”.

The Government of Ekiti State in a statement by the Information Commissioner, Mr. Muyiwa Olumilua, confirmed the attack on Mrs Fayemi.

Olumilua acknowledged that the protest might have started as a peaceful one, adding that there was an escalation to violence, possibly due to infiltration by hoodlums.

“The convoy of the Wife of the Governor was attacked with several vehicles vandalised, leaving many people, including journalists, with varying degrees of injuries.

“While not denying the students the right to express their grievances on any issue, it is expected that such be done without resulting to violence.

“As a responsible government, it is on record that the State Government has been engaging the electricity company (BEDC) on how to improve the power situation in parts of the State, long before this unfortunate incident, and promise to continue to engage them on the improvement of their service delivery to Ekiti State.

“The general public is hereby advised to go about their normal activities as the situation is now under control”, he said.

However, some journalists ; Folorunso Adebiyi of Federal Radio Corporation of , Olasunkami Ogunmuko of CORE TV, Raphael Ogbonnaiye of Daily Trust, Ayodele Afolabi of The Guardian, Adedayo Oladele of New Nigerian and other journalists on the first lady’s entourage narrowly escaped being killed during the attacks while some sustained varying degrees of injuries.

The Chairman of the Nigeria Union of Journalists, Ekiti chapter, Rotimi Ojomoyela, condemned the calculated attacks on his members, urging security agencies to fish out the perpetrators.

Recounting how the incident happened, a journalist with Core Television station in , Sunkanmi Ogunmuko, said Mrs Fayemi was already conducting the empowerment programme at the civic centre in Oye Ekiti when the incident occurred.

Ogunmuko said they came in their hundreds from both Oye and Ikole campuses and started destroying vehicles with sticks and other dangerous weapons. They destroyed over ten cars in the convoy and wounded journalists and other participants.

“It was the security details around the first lady that alerted the entourage about the happening. They were the ones who summoned courage to remove all the bonfires and mounted road blockades before the first lady was frisked out of the beleaguered scene.

“Most of the journalists were wounded with the aid of sticks , bottles and sticks thrown by the protesting students.”

Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Inspirational Tips

Advertisement
Loading...

Trending

WhatsApp Join Our WhatsApp Chat
%d bloggers like this: