Connect with us
//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

Published

on

On Thursday February 23rd, , the Independent National Electoral Commission had revealed that it does not have in it’s possession the electronic server which Alhaji Atiku Abubakar had demanded for, and had also revealed why the tribunal should dismiss the case. The Petition had been filed to challenge the victory of Buhari in the last on February 23rd.

The respondents to the petition which include Mohammadu Buhari, INEC and the All Progressive   have asked the panel led by Justice Mohammed Garba to dismiss the petitioners demand.

The counsels of the respective respondents have reiterated to the tribunal that the court of appeal had earlier dismissed such an application which the petitioners had also filed and therefore it should not hold water.

Mr Yunus Usman(SAN) the lead counsel of INEC had said the application meant asking the electoral body to produce what it did not have in it’s possession.

READ ALSO  RevolutionNow: Afenifere reacts as court grants DSS order to detain Sowore

Usman’s statement had read in part:

“We attached as Exhibit 1, the enrolled order of this honorable court made on May 6, 2019 refusing all the prayers of the petitioners in this application.

“They said we should bring what we don’t have.”

On February 23rd Muhammadu Buhari under the umbrella of APC had been declared the winner of the 2019 Presidential Election.

The had declared that Buhari had defeated his rival with 15,191,847 votes, while Atiku had only gotten 11,262,978 votes. Atiku had however contended that in a petition filed on March 18 that the real gotten from INEC,  had showed a total of 18,356,732 votes to defeat Buhari whom he said scored 16,741,430 votes.

Dr. Livy Ozoukwu, the lead counsel of the petitioners had subsequently filed an application on May 8, 2019 which had sought an order from the tribunal permitting them to access INEC’s server where the results and other data had been allegedly transmitted, during the election.

Chief Chris Uche (SAN) a senior member of the petitioners legal team  had moved the application on Thursday.

READ ALSO  Xenophobia: South African clothing store looted in Lagos

Uche had pleaded with the tribunal to do the needful by granting the application to show that they are transparent and neutral in maintaining justice

His statement had read in part:

“The application in summary asks for access to and inspection of the server of the INEC and the smart card readers used in the conduct of the presidential election.

“We have addressed the issues in our counter-affidavit, written address and reply on points of law and we urge your lordships that the application be granted as prayed in the interest of justice, transparency and neutrality.

He had added that the application  was necessary for the maintenance of the petition.

Usman the lead counsel of INEC had reminded the tribunal of the counter affidavit of his client which had been filed on May 23rd in opposition to the application, saying that since the Court of Appeal had refused similar application, then it definitely should not be granted again.

READ ALSO  ELECTION: Sen. Adeleke speaks on reclaiming mandate at Tribunal

Chief Wole Olanipekun (SAN), leader of Buhari legal team had then asked the tribunal to immediately dismiss the application.

Loading...

Abass Sulaiman Adegoke, well known as Adegoke is a student of Federal Polytechnic Ede studying Civil Engineering, He is a media enthusiast, loves traveling, and has a special interest in personal development.

Advertisement //pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "pub-7404936528073869", enable_page_level_ads: true });
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

Hushpuppi: Atiku reacts to APC’s accusation, link to cyber crime, threatens legal action

Published

on

By

Former Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, candidate, Atiku Abubakar on Sunday reacted to a statement credited to the All Progressives , APC, linking him to cyber-crimes, suspect Ramon Abbas popularly known as Hushpuppi.

Atiku said it was mischievous to link him to Hushpuppi because of a photograph.

Following Hushpuppi’s arrest in the United Arab Emirates and extradition to the United States, APC had called on the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, to probe his link to some Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, chieftains.

A statement by APC’s Deputy National Publicity Secretary, Yekini Nabena had named the PDP chieftains to include Saraki, ex-presidential candidate; Atiku Abubakar, and former Kogi West Senator; Dino Melaye.

READ ALSO  Anthony Joshua reveals health issues, explains why he lost to Andy Ruiz Jr in first match

However, Atiku’s media aide, Paul Ibe warned that such statements would attract legal actions, stressing that such should not be used for political blackmail.

In a series of tweets, Ibe wrote: “It is curious that the All Progressives Congress is mischievously trying to link Atiku Abubakar to the alleged fraudster, Ramon Abbas, AKA Hushpuppi, simply because he was photographed with Atiku at an event where many Nigerians had gathered.

READ ALSO  Oshiomhole: APC gets 3 Acting National Chairman in 2 days as court installs Giadom

For the avoidance of doubt, it was a mere photo-op and not at any meeting as being ingloriously speculated.

“We would advise the APC and Mr. Nabena to be very mindful of such senseless statements in the future especially as the case under reference is a subject of litigation in another country.

“Had they been more sensitive, they would have come to terms with the reality that the case is a national embarrassment – not something to cheer about for any political blackmail.”

Loading...
Continue Reading

Politics

BREAKING: Appeal court affirms Bello’s election as Kogi governor

Published

on

By

The Court of Appeal in Abuja on Saturday affirmed the of Governor Yahaya Bello of Kogi State , after dismissing four appeals challenging his victory at the November 16 , poll .
In separate judgments all of which were unanimous , the five – man panel of the court led by Justice Adamu Jauro dismissed the four appeals for lacking in merit .
The appeals dismissed were filed by the Peoples Democratic Party , the Actions People ’ s Party , the Social Democratic Party and the Democratic People ’s Party .

READ ALSO  Panic In Aso Rock As Atiku’s PDP Reject Buhari’s ‘Licence To Kill’ Order, Reveals Next Line Of Action

Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Inspirational Tips

Advertisement
Loading...

Trending

WhatsApp Join Our WhatsApp Chat
%d bloggers like this: