Connect with us
//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

Published

on

The Court of Appeal sitting in Ibadan , the Oyo State capital, has dismissed the appeal filed by the Party (LP) against the of the of Ogun State , Dapo Abiodun.

This was disclosed in a statement by the Chief Press Secretary to the governor, Kunle Somorin, on Friday.

According to Somorin, the court described the Labour Party’s appeal as lacking in merit and outright frivolous.

The statement reads in part , “The court upheld the submission of counsel to Abiodun and the All Progressives , Wale Ajayi, that the governor was duly elected and calling for the invalidation of the that returned him could not stand legal requirements for the nullification of elections.”

The LP in Ogun State as well as its governorship candidate, Modupe Sanyaolu, had dragged the Independent National Electoral Commission (), Abiodun, and the All Progressives Congress (APC) before the election petition tribunal sitting in Ogun State to challenge the exclusion of its party from the ballot papers used for the March 9 governorship election.

But the Yusuf Halilu-led tribunal had earlier struck out the petition due to the failure of the petitioners and their counsels to appear in court on a date fixed for the commencement of hearing.

Efforts of the petitioners to relist the petition for rehearing before the same tribunal did not succeed as well.

Speaking with DAILY POST, the LP Chairman in Ogun State, Abayomi Arabambi, confirmed the .

However, Arabambi said the LP still has one other appeal before the court.

Loading...

Abass Sulaiman Adegoke, well known as Adegoke is a student of Federal Polytechnic Ede studying Civil Engineering, He is a media enthusiast, loves traveling, and has a special interest in personal development.

Advertisement //pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "pub-7404936528073869", enable_page_level_ads: true });
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Lagos: Why okada, keke ban will not be reversed – Dep gov, Hamzat

Published

on

By

Lagos: Why okada, keke ban will not be reversed – Dep gov, Hamzat 20200215 043819

The Lagos State Government has stated that the ban on commercial motorcycles (okada) and tricycles (keke) in Lagos metropolis will not be reversed.

Deputy Gov. Obafemi Hamzat, in a statement on Friday, said this was because the government was determined to reduce accidents and vices associated.

Hamzat noted that the ban would promote security of lives and that the decision was taken after evaluating the rate of crime and accidents recorded.

He said: “It is not to punish anybody or restrict people from doing certain jobs; the reality is that people are dying, security of our children is being compromised, and the government must act.

“What this administration is doing is just to enforce the law that the House of Assembly passed which must have been vigorously scrutinised.

“The ban is in accordance with the Lagos State Transport Reform Law of 2012. The law that has been in existence since 2012.

“The law says that commercial motorcycles and tricycles are restrained from plying major highways, certain roads and all bridges,” he said.

“The law was revisited due to the scary figures of fatal accidents in the state as against the claims that the ban was targeted at anyone or group.

“We have 27 general hospitals in Lagos and close to 3,000 private hospitals.

“Using the statistics from the general hospitals alone, an average of 28 deaths related to okada are recorded monthly. It is therefore important for us as a government to act.”

Hamzat noted that said motorcycles and tricycles were being used by some unpatriotic citizens as tools for crime such as theft and drug trafficking.

He said that the modes of transportation were becoming avenues to commit crimes and the government would not wait until major disasters would happen before acting.

“We get calls through our emergency control centres as early as 6:00a.m. from people going to work who are being robbed and harassed through motorcycles,” the deputy added.

Loading...
Continue Reading

News

Presidency suspends NBC DG, Kawu

Published

on

By

Presidency suspends NBC DG, Kawu NBC DG Ishaq Modibbo Kawu

Presidency suspends NBC DG, Kawu NBC DG Ishaq Modibbo Kawu 300x179

The Presidency has suspended the Director – General of the National Broadcasting Commission, Mallam Ishaq Modibbo Kawu , sources told
Sources in the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation said Modibbo reportedly got the suspension letter within the week but had been battling to have it reversed .
“ I have confirmed from the relevant department , it is true that the DG of NBC, Mallam Ishaq Modibbo Kawu , was ordered to be suspended by the President ( Maj . Gen . Muhammadu Buhari ( retd . ) following series of petitions and allegations against him ,” a source in the SGF office stated .
Yet , another source said he was asked to “step aside” following investigation of the petitions against him.
The suspension came many months after an ongoing prosecution of Kawu by the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other -Related Offences Commission for alleged corruption .
Consequently , the Director ( Broadcast Monitoring ) , Armstrong Idachaba, was said to have been directed to act pending the outcome of the case .
When  visited the NBC on Friday , the issue was being discussed in hushed tones among staff members .
But when contacted, the spokesperson for NBC, Ekanem Antia , told our correspondent that he would not speak on the issue as according to him , he did not have details of the allegation .
“I am not aware ( of it) , as we speak now . I don ’t have any document on my table to confirm ( it) . But we will issue a statement if at all it is true. The office is still working ; we are all in the office . Everybody is in their department ,” he said .
Several calls later put across to him didn ’t go through as his telephone line indicated that it was switched off.
Last year, a civil rights organisation under the aegis of Coalition Against Corruption and Bad Governance, said it had made a fresh discovery of 16 illegal slots of radio licences approved by the NBC DG.
The organisation had alleged that while six slots were for his private company, Word, Sound and Vision Multimedia Limited , another 10 were approved for companies which did not apply or were not on the list approved by Buhari .
The chairman of CACOBAG , Alhaji Toyin Raheem , who raised the issue in a statement issued in Abuja , claimed that a former SGF was one of the 10 beneficiaries of the radio licences recently doled out by NBC .
The CSO asked the Presidency to direct anti -corruption agencies , including the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission and ICPC to investigate its findings .
But Antia had said the allegations were not new as the same group had petitioned ICPC .
The ICPC had urged the Federal Government to suspend Kawu and 32 other public officers / civil servants undergoing corruption trial at the time .
The commission had arraigned Kawu and two others , Dipo Onifade and Lucky Omoluwa , on alleged N 2. 5bn fraud.
They are being prosecuted on 12 counts for allegedly conspiring with one another to use the position of Kawu to confer a corrupt advantage on Omoluwa , his friend and associate , for which they pleaded not guilty and were granted bail .
The anti – graft agency also charged Kawu for allegedly deceiving Mohammed to sign the deal.
The embattled NBC boss allegedly asked Mohammed to approve payment of N2 .5 bn to Pinnacle Communications Limited owned by Omoluwa as “Seed Grant ” under the Digital Switch- Over Programme of the Federal Government .
The suspended DG has

Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Inspirational Tips

Advertisement
Loading...

Trending

WhatsApp Join Our WhatsApp Chat
Open chat
Powered by
%d bloggers like this: