Why we’re starting strike soon – Lecturers
Connect with us
//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

Published

on

President of Colleges of Academic Staff Union, COEASU, Mr. Nuhu Ogirima, on Friday, disclosed that the union may soon commence another strike action to press home its demands from the Federal Government.

Ogirima made the disclosure in an with reporters in Abuja on Friday while commenting on the five-day warning strike by the Senior Staff Association of Nigerian (SSANU) and Non-Academic Staff Union of (NASU).

According to him, COEASU may have no option than to down tools, due to FG’s failure to fulfill the made to the union, which prompted it to suspend the strike action embarked upon for over two months in December last year.

“We are also warming up now to embark on strike. The Federal Government has acceded to the demands of the universities at the expense of another sister sector.

“What we require is just about one-tenth of what the universities require. But the federal government left us out completely, refusing to attend to the resolutions we had.

“They promise to release funds in December, they have abandoned that. And now they have even listened to NASU and SSANU, in addition to what they have done for their academic staff, . In our own case, they have not done anything about it.

“It is unfortunate because they choose to attend to the elitist institution. They left us out because nobody wants to be a teacher; we don’t have the children of ministers, traditional rulers and the ambassadors in our system. That is why it is so neglected.

“And this is destroying our education foundational system. The future of the education industry is clearly the colleges of education. If we do not have colleges of education, what happens to the education of our youths, of our young ones?” Ogirima asked.

The COEASU helmsman said the union has been holdings meetings which, according to him, would continue next week and a final decision to be taken after due consultation with members.

He said: “We are consulting with our people towards the possibility of another strike action because the promise of N15b made, nothing has been done about that. There is another N2.5b. The N2.5b is about the peculiar academic allowances. That of universities is earned academic allowances. Our own is peculiar academic allowances. And it is just N2.5b that is outstanding now for 2018. That of 2017 is not up to that and they have not done anything about it too.”

On the reappointment of Mallam Adamu Adamu as Minister of Education, Ogirima described it as a welcome development, hoping that he would hard this time around to find ways of offering solutions to the plethora of challenges confronting the education sector.

Loading...

Abass Sulaiman Adegoke, well known as Adegoke is a student of Federal Polytechnic Ede studying Civil Engineering, He is a media enthusiast, loves traveling, and has a special interest in personal development.

Advertisement //pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "pub-7404936528073869", enable_page_level_ads: true });
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Education

FPE cutoff marks for 2019/2020 is out

Published

on

By

FPE cutoff marks for 2019/2020 is out FedPolyEde Admsn Informtn 20190912 133204

Federal polytechnic just released her cut off marks 2018/2019 check belowFPE cutoff marks for 2019/2020 is out IMG 20190912 WA0094 225x300

Loading...
Continue Reading

Education

Federal University shut down over attack on First Lady, SUG disbanded

Published

on

By

Federal University shut down over attack on First Lady, SUG disbanded protesters 1024x576

Following the attack on the convoy of the First Lady of Ekiti State, Erelu Bisi Fayemi by protesting students of Federal University, Oye Ekiti(FUOYE) on Tuesday, the authorities of the Federal University has closed down the school indefinitely.

In a statement signed by the Vice-Chancellor of the university, Prof. Kayode Soremekun on Wednesday, the management also proscribed the students’ union government in the institution, henceforth.

Students of the university had on Tuesday held a violent protest to demand for the restoration of electricity to the two campuses in Oye and Ikole, where cars on the convoy of the First lady, who was on a local government tour were destroyed and many sustained bodily injuries in the process.

He said, “We hereby announce the immediate and indefinite closure of the university to forestall further breakdown of law and order.

“In the same vein, the students’ union of the institution is disbanded indefinitely.

“Following this closure, the students population are hereby ordered to vacate the university premises no later than 10 am tomorrow 11th September 2019.

“Further developments will be communicated in due course”.

The Government of Ekiti State in a statement by the Information Commissioner, Mr. Muyiwa Olumilua, confirmed the attack on Mrs Fayemi.

Olumilua acknowledged that the protest might have started as a peaceful one, adding that there was an escalation to violence, possibly due to infiltration by hoodlums.

“The convoy of the Wife of the Governor was attacked with several vehicles vandalised, leaving many people, including journalists, with varying degrees of injuries.

“While not denying the students the right to express their grievances on any issue, it is expected that such be done without resulting to violence.

“As a responsible government, it is on record that the State Government has been engaging the electricity company (BEDC) on how to improve the power situation in parts of the State, long before this unfortunate incident, and to continue to engage them on the improvement of their service delivery to Ekiti State.

“The general public is hereby advised to go about their normal activities as the situation is now under control”, he said.

However, some journalists ; Folorunso Adebiyi of Federal Radio Corporation of , Olasunkami Ogunmuko of CORE TV, Raphael Ogbonnaiye of Daily Trust, Ayodele Afolabi of The Guardian, Adedayo Oladele of New Nigerian and other journalists on the first lady’s entourage narrowly escaped being killed during the attacks while some sustained varying degrees of injuries.

The Chairman of the Nigeria Union of Journalists, Ekiti chapter, Rotimi Ojomoyela, condemned the calculated attacks on his members, urging security agencies to fish out the perpetrators.

Recounting how the incident happened, a journalist with Core Television station in Lagos, Sunkanmi Ogunmuko, said Mrs Fayemi was already conducting the empowerment programme at the civic centre in Oye Ekiti when the incident occurred.

Ogunmuko said they came in their hundreds from both Oye and Ikole campuses and started destroying vehicles with sticks and other dangerous weapons. They destroyed over ten cars in the convoy and wounded journalists and other participants.

“It was the security details around the first lady that alerted the entourage about the happening. They were the ones who summoned courage to remove all the bonfires and mounted road blockades before the first lady was frisked out of the beleaguered scene.

“Most of the journalists were wounded with the aid of sticks , bottles and sticks thrown by the protesting students.”

Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Inspirational Tips

Advertisement
Loading...

Trending

WhatsApp Join Our WhatsApp Chat
%d bloggers like this: