Connect with us
//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

Published

on

Iranian , Hassan Rouhani’s brother has begun a five-year sentence after he was convicted of corruption, BBC News reports.

Hossein Fereydoun, who served as an aide to the president, was first arrested in July 2017.

However, he was put on trial in February this year on allegations of financial violations.

Hossein was convicted of “receiving bribes” in May and sentenced to seven years.

An appeal court decision later reduced the jail term, but ordered him to return any property that he had acquired illicitly and fined him an equivalent of $9m in Iranian currency.

Hossein’s lawyer told local reporters that his client entered Tehran’s Evin prison on Wednesday.

READ ALSO  Maltreatment: China writes diplomatic letter, insists Nigerians must respect laws

“This morning, Mr Fereydoun together with myself were present at the prosecutor’s ,” Hossein Sartipi was quoted as saying.

“After legal procedures were completed, he was taken to Evin prison and was admitted to the prison,” he added.

Fereydoun acted as a key adviser and gatekeeper to the president before his arrest.

READ ALSO  COVID-19: Presidential aide explains why Buhari doesn’t wear face mask

The brothers do not share the same surname because Rouhani changed his to a word meaning ‘spiritual’ or ‘cleric’ decades ago after joining a seminary.

Rouhani had promised to curb corruption in the 2013 and 2017 campaigns.

Loading...

Abass Sulaiman Adegoke, well known as Adegoke is a student of Federal Polytechnic Ede studying Civil Engineering, He is a media enthusiast, loves traveling, and has a special interest in personal development.

Advertisement //pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "pub-7404936528073869", enable_page_level_ads: true });
1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. free cialis

    January 1, 2020 at 3:21 am

    Hello, blame you in spite of word! I repost in Facebook

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

We Sacked Vice Chancellor Over Financial Recklessness, Says UNILAG Governing Council *It Is All A Charade-VC

Published

on

By

of panels of investigation set up by the Governing Council of the University of Lagos (UNILAG) allegedly found the Vice Chancellor, Professor Oluwatoyin Ogundipe, guilty of spending university funds recklessly and without due process and this led to his removal.

However, in the documents in possession of Tribune Online, Ogundipe denied the allegations against him, alleging that all that the Governing Council, led by Dr. Wale Babalakin, did was a charade.

Babalakin had enumerated some of the alleged infractions by Ogundipe to include spending N49.4 million on the renovation of his official residence without the approval of the Chairman of the Governing Council.

“The university’s bursar also spent N41,817,638.32 on the refurbishment of his own house. The former Registrar spent N16,123,505.00 on the renovation of her own house.”

According to Babalakin, it was only after the Council set up a committee headed by a Dr. Saminu Dagari that the expenses were discovered.

READ ALSO  COVID-19: Kwara Govt debunks claims of ‘amala’ as cure

“They were never brought to the attention of either the Finance and General Purposes Committee or the Council or even the Pro-Chancellor.

“These are simply criminal offences. Even the of the Federal Republic of Nigeria with his enormous executive powers would not unilaterally and arbitrarily spend public money without the approval of the National Assembly.”

Ogundipe was also accused of making a deputy vice chancellor who had been involved in the award of the contract for the construction of the library chairman of the committee that also investigated the collapse of the building.

“The Vice-Chancellor’s action was untenable and totally disgraceful. Obviously, there was a plan to conceal the facts and protect the persons involved.

“Professor Fogam investigated the case and discovered that the whole process was done in flagrant disregard of the Council and the Federal Ministry of Education,” the council said.

Responding to the allegations, Ogundipe said Dagari in an audio recording told members of his committee that the overall goal of setting up of the committee was to indict the vice-chancellor and the bursar and subsequently have them suspended from .

READ ALSO  COVID-19: Catholic Bishops donate 435 hospitals, clinics

He said the committee was allowed to conduct its investigation endlessly.

“The committee spent over six months on the assignment, sat for over 40 times and in the process, incurred a bill of over N7 million by way of sitting allowance, hotel expenditure as well as feeding at meetings.

“It is also important to point out here that the External Audit Firms appointed by Council for the regular one-year audit of the University’s finances only costs the university N5.2 million only.

“Simultaneously within this period, the Pro-Chancellor had authorised an External Audit firm of his choosing to look into the books of the university for which he paid from his personal account.

READ ALSO  2020 UTME: Reactions trail suspension of NIN requirement by JAMB

“The report of his External Auditors had noted the standard kind of audit report showing some weaknesses in some of the internal control but did not detect fraud. They also made their recommendations as appropriate in a report.

“It would appear that the whole idea of setting up the committee was a charade.”

Loading...
Continue Reading

News

JUST IN: NCAA approves reopening of Asaba International airport

Published

on

By

The Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) has approved the re-opening of the Asaba International Airport for commercial operations.
The approval was conveyed to the Delta State Government following the inspection of Asaba International Airport last week by officials of the NCAA to ascertain the level of preparedness for its re-opening pursuant to the Federal Government’s lifting of the ban on local Air Travel.
READ ALSO: Night Carrington Staked Life For Nigeria’s Democracy
The NCAA in its letter conveying the approval stated that the Asaba International Airport had satisfactorily fulfilled the requirements of the COVID-19 restart guidelines and protocols and therefore had been granted the authorization to resume normal operations.
In his remarks Secretary to the Delta State Government, Mr. Chiedu Ebie thank the management of the NCAA for their promptness and professionalism and assure air travelers using the Asaba Airport of the continued commitment of the Delta State Government to the provision of modern facilities for the effective and efficient operation of the Airpo

READ ALSO  UNGA: Religious persecution must end – Trump tells Buhari, other world leaders

Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Inspirational Tips

Advertisement
Loading...

Trending

WhatsApp Join Our WhatsApp Chat
%d bloggers like this: