Xenophobia: We wouldn’t abandon you – FG assures SA returnees | Fastest Delivery Of Magazine
Connect with us
//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

Published

on

The Federal Government of has assured South African returnees that it will not abandon them to their plight as all efforts are on to continue the rehabilitation and empowerment programmes.

Chairman/Chief Executive Officer of Nigerian in Diaspora Commission, Abike Dabiri-Erewa, made this declaration while receiving a South African widow returnee, Mrs. Yinka Iyoha in her in Abuja.

Dabiri-Erewa maintained that the federal government will not abandon all Nigerians brought back to the country as a of xenophobic attacks.

Dabiri-Erewa equally announced a scholarship to one of the children of the returnee, gesture from Nigerians in Diaspora Commission.

She said that the Federal Government is kick starting an entrepreneurship programme for the returnees in collaboration with Small and Medium scale Enterprises Development Agencies (SMEDAN) and National Directorate of Employment (NDE).

She mentioned that the returnees will be trained on various skill acquisitions and certified, mentored and funded by the Central Bank of Nigeria. In addition, funds from N1 million to N10 million naira will be released for the programme.

She also appealed to other state governments to liaise with the returnees in their respective states and key in into the rehabilitation and reintegration schemes.

“We can only hope to for peace and unity among Africans as the Nigerian mission had a programme in Johannesburg, South Africa entitled UNITE AFRICA, geared towards eradicating xenophobia in South Africa.”

While encouraging African countries to unite in love, she said that Nigerians in South Africa are working with their counterparts to ensure this, while those who commit crimes will face the penalty.

Iyoha while speaking said that she had a terrible experience in South Africa during the xenophobic attacks.

“There no place like home and I am very happy to be back home, what we experienced in South Africa we cannot describe it, it was like living in the wilderness”, she said.

Iyoha, who lost her in 2010 in South Africa and has been with the burden of raising her four children alone, complained of her being crumbled by South African hostile trade policies.

“It was very tough for me as I lost over 20 million worth of goods due to the South African Customs seizing imported goods from Nigeria.”

Loading...

Abass Sulaiman Adegoke, well known as Adegoke is a student of Federal Polytechnic Ede studying Civil Engineering, He is a media enthusiast, loves traveling, and has a special interest in personal development.

Advertisement //pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "pub-7404936528073869", enable_page_level_ads: true });
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Benue: Gov. Ortom approves N30, 999 as minimum wage

Published

on

By

Benue: Gov. Ortom approves N30, 999 as minimum wage 20200117 020427

The Governor Samuel Ortom-led Benue State Government has approved the sum of N30, 000 new minimum wage for civil servants in the state.

This was disclosed to DAILY POST, on Thursday, by Ortom’s Adviser on Labour Matters, Hon. Ode Enyi.

According to Enyi, Ortom gave the approval during a meeting in the state.

He said: “Buhari approved N30. 999k today at a meeting.”

On when it will take effect, Enyi said: “We are yet to conclude the consequential adjustments and when that is done we will get a date of the take-off.”

Recall that Ortom had in December last year said his administration was willing to pay the N30,000 national minimum wage but would do better if the revenue sharing formula undergoes an upward review.

Ortom stated this while explaining that an upward review of the revenue sharing formula in the country would ensure more money was made available to states and local governments for greater development.

He had spoken at the Benue Peoples House in Makurdi, the state capital, when the Federal Commissioner representing Benue State at the Revenue Mobilisation, Allocation and Fiscal Commission, RMAFC, Chief Adaa Maagbe paid him a courtesy visit.

Loading...
Continue Reading

News

Alfa caught on camera raping 5-year-old girl in mosque

Published

on

By

Alfa caught on camera raping 5-year-old girl in mosque 20200117 020329 1

A prosecution witness in a defilement case against a cleric, Abdulsalam Salaudeen, on Thursday, narrated how he allegedly caught the defendant in the act with a hidden camera.

Mr Ebenezer Omejalile, a social worker and child protection consultant, testified before an Ikeja Sexual Offences and Domestic Violence Court.

He was led in evidence by Mr Akin George, lead state prosecutor.

Salaudeen, 43, who resides at No. 16, Awoyemi St., Ikotun, Lagos, is facing a charge of child defilement contrary to Section 137 of the Criminal Law of Lagos, 2015.

Omejalile told the court that a hidden camera was set up in a Lagos mosque, which captured the cleric engaging in sodomy with a pupil.

Omejalile told the court how he got wind of Salaudeen’s alleged unlawful act.

“A community-mandated reporter drew my attention to what was happening in the community.

“She said that Alfa Abdulsalam had been abusing children who attend his Islamic school in the community,” the witness said.

Omejalile said that he then embarked on a “social inquiry” and found the claim to be true.

“We (Omejalile and his team members) also found out that he was not just a cleric, he was regarded as a demi-god in the community.

“We got a laser camera and we planted the laser camera within the vicinity of the mosque,” he said.

The witness said that the camera caught Salaudeen in the act of defiling one of his pupils, a five-year-old girl (name withheld).

The social worker said the graphic footage was obtained and transferred into a mobile phone.

He said the mobile phone was taken to the Child Protection Unit of the Lagos State Ministry of Youth and Social Development.

He said that staff of the unit, however, refused to attend to the matter, causing him go to the police.

“When I got there, they were not ready to attend to the issue; they told me in Yoruba that they did not want to see something unusual.

“I proceeded immediately to the of the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), I gave him a copy of the footage which was sent to the then Lagos State Commissioner of Police (CP), Mr Edgal Imohimi.

“Initially, the CP found it difficult to believe the video because of its graphic nature and kept asking if I was sure of its authenticity. It took a week for him to act on it.

“Meanwhile, the mandated reporter kept calling me, saying that children were still being sexually abused by the cleric.

“I called the PPRO to immediately act on it or the press would be contacted, and on Dec. 28, 2018, a team was set up to arrest the Alfa,” he testified.

He told the court that the team comprised himself, police officers from the State Investigation Bureau (SIB) and the Gender Unit.

Omejalile said that on the day scheduled to effect the defendant’s arrest, Gender Unit refused to go with the team to apprehend Salaudeen.

He said when the team arrived at Igando, the defendant was absent and members of the community were resistant, and when Salaudeen arrived, he feigned ignorance of the mission of the police team.

The witness said that even when the name of the five-year-old girl, who the defendant allegedly molested was mentioned to give him a hint of the mission, he insisted he knew nothing about it.

“We went to the home of the survivor in the video and met her mum who was plaiting her hair, and the survivor was identified,” he said.

Omejalile said that the team wanted leave the community with 10 pupils of the Islamic cleric but youths who gathered around became hostile.

“I pulled one of the youths aside and I showed him the video and he immediately calmed the other youths down.

“After all the arguments, the Alfa resisted and still said he did not know why he was being taken away; when we told him it was on the CP’s orders, he agreed,” he said.

Omejalile said that the defendant was taken to the SIB located in Ikeja, where he continued to deny committing the offence until he was shown the video footage.

“When the video was shown to him, he burst into tears and accepted that he committed the crime.

“The 10 other children from his Islamic school were taken to the Juvenile Welfare Centre located at Alakara.

“We had called their parents to identify them after they were picked up from the mosque.

“At a point, the Child Protection Unit of the Lagos State Ministry of Youth and Social Development took over the children,” the social worker said.

At this point, George requested that the case be adjourned because there was no electricity to play the graphic video in the courtroom.

Justice Abiola Soladoye adjourned the case until Feb. 10 for continuation of trial, NAN reports.

Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Inspirational Tips

Advertisement
Loading...

Trending

WhatsApp Join Our WhatsApp Chat
Open chat
%d bloggers like this: