Connect with us
//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

Published

on

The Federal High Court, Abuja, says Kaduna State , Nasir El-Rufai, cannot stop the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) from investigating him.

Justice Binta Nyako said this while delivering the judgment, on Friday, in a no: FHC/ABJ/CS/60/09 filed by El-Rufai.

The governor was seeking the court’s determination whether as the then Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), he had complied with the guidelines approved by the Federal Executive Council (FEC) for the sale of Federal Government houses between May 2005 and May 2007.

News Agency of (NAN) reports that while El-Rufai was the applicant, the defendants from 1st to 13th include: EFCC, FCT minister, FCDA, AGF, CBN, Oceanic Bank, Access Bank, Intercontinental Bank, Aso Savings and Loans Ltd, Union Homes, Akintola Williams Deloite and Aminu Ibrahim & Co.

In the originating summon brought pursuant to Section 302 of 1999 Constitution and Section 3 and 18 of the FCT Act 1990, El-Rufai also sought court’s determination: “whether the proceeds of the sale of Federal Government houses in the FCT between May 2005 – May 2007 were properly accounted for or not in accordance with the FEC mandate and guidelines to the Federal Capital Territory Authority (FCTA).

READ ALSO  Endure the lockdown, Osun monarchs plead

“Whether the sum of N32 billion (or any sum whatsoever) is missing from the proceeds of the sale of Federal Government Houses in the FCT between May 2005 and May 2007.”

The Kaduna State Governor also sought the court’s relief on “a declaration that the sale of Federal Government houses in the FCT was conducted in accordance with the Federal Executive Council mandate to the FCTA through the Ad hoc Committee for the sale of non essential houses in Abuja.

“A declaration that the proceeds of the sale of the said Federal Government houses conducted by the Ad hoc Committee on SOGH in Abuja between 2005 and 2007 were properly accounted for in accordance with the mandate and guidelines approved by the FEC.

“A declaration that the Audit prepared by the 12th and 13th respondents on the sale of Federal Government Houses in the FCT confirm that the Sale of Federal Government houses in FCT compiled with the approved guidelines for the sale of Federal Government properties in FCT and the proceeds were properly accounted for.

READ ALSO  Miyetti Allah leader shot dead in Adamawa

“A declaration that the proceeds of sale of Federal Government Houses in FCT between May 2005 and May 2007 were properly apportioned and accounted for in accordance with the approved guidelines as confirmed by the Audit Report of the 12th and 13th respondents, dated July 20, 2007.

“A declaration that the sum of N32 billion (or any sum whatsoever) from the proceeds of the sale of Federal Government of Nigeria Houses in FCT between May 2005 and 2007 is not missing.

“An order directing the 2nd respondent to disclose the exact amount remitted to the 5th respondent as the proceeds of the sale of Federal Government houses in the FCT between May 2005 and May 2007.

“An order directing the 5th respondent to disclose the exact amount received from the 2nd respondent as the proceeds of the sale of Federal Government houses in the FCT between May 2005 and May 2007.”

NAN recalls that Justice Nyako had earlier, in her judgment, granted El-Rufai’s prayers.

However, in the Friday judgment, the noted that the EFCC had called the court’s attention to its counter-affidavit in objection to the prayers.

READ ALSO  Five years in office: My mandate for change remains relevant – Buhari

The anti-graft agency, in its counter-affidavit, had submitted that the motive of the applicant was to stop the commission from investigating him in order to cover up the alleged fraud perpetrated when he was FCT minister.

Justice Nyako, who held that the earlier judgment delivered still stands, however, declared that no court would stop the EFCC from investigating anyone in line with its constitutional mandate.

“No court, including this one, will allow itself to be used to shield anybody from being investigated by the 1st respondent,” the judge held.

Loading...

Abass Sulaiman Adegoke, well known as Adegoke is a student of Federal Polytechnic Ede studying Civil Engineering, He is a media enthusiast, loves traveling, and has a special interest in personal development.

Advertisement //pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "pub-7404936528073869", enable_page_level_ads: true });
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

EFCC picks Director of Operations, Mohammed Umar to replace Magu

Published

on

By

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, Director of Operations, Mohammed Umar, has been picked to oversee the affairs of the commission in the absence of its suspended acting chairman, Ibrahim Magu.

This was disclosed to the News Agency of (NAN) by a top official of EFCC on Tuesday.

NAN reports that the source, who wished to be anonymous, claimed Umar was chosen by the “EFCC’s hierarchy” after Magu was suspended.

READ ALSO  BREAKING: Kano Govt Appoints New Emir Of Rano

The source, however, disclosed the commission had not received any official communication on Magu’s suspension.

A presidential committee is currently probing the activities of EFCC under Magu.

This followed an indictment by the Minister of Justice and Attorney General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami.

On Monday, Magu was picked up by security operatives said to be from the Department of State Services, DSS, and taken to the Presidential Villa, Abuja as part of the ongoing investigation.

READ ALSO  Endure the lockdown, Osun monarchs plead

EFCC’s Head of Media and Publicity, Dele Oyewale, however, said Magu was only invited for questioning.

Loading...
Continue Reading

News

JUST IN: Nigerian students won’t write 2020 WAEC – FG

Published

on

By

The Federal Ministry of Education has said Nigerian secondary final year students will not be participating in the upcoming West African Examination Council (WAEC) examinations.

The Minister of Education, Mallam Adamu Adamu, who disclosed this to State Correspondents on Wednesday after the seventh weekly virtual Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting, also said there is no date for resumption of schools in the country yet.

He said he would prefer that Nigerian students lose an academic year than to expose them to dangers, appealing to state governments that had announced reopening of schools to reconsider their decision for the sake of the students’ safety.

Speaking on the effect the decision to keep schools closed could have on final year secondary school students, due to write the WAEC, Adamu said would not open the schools yet, not even for the WAEC, which is a regionally control programme.

READ ALSO  Atiku vs Buhari: Dino Melaye provides evidence of INEC server [VIDEO]

He, however debunked an earlier , which claimed that the Minister of State for Education, Hon. Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba, announced August 4, 2020, as resumption date for schools, saying the Minister was misquoted.

“I don’t know whether you journalists are misquoting the Minister of State for Education or maybe quoting what WAEC said and made it into a story. Schools under the supervision of the Federal Ministry of Education will not be opened on August 4 or anytime soon.

“Our schools will only open when we believe it’s safe for our children and that is when the situation is right, not when the incidence of the infection is going up in the nation. I just want to make it clear.

“We will not open soon for examination or for any reason, unless it is safe for our children, even WAEC. WAEC will not determine for us what we do. Schools will remain closed.

READ ALSO  Five Countries Where It Is Illegal To Celebrate Valentine

“Yesterday we called on stakeholders who will tell us the situation and the way it should be done for it to be safe. While the meeting was going on, WAEC announced that they are starting examinations. Let’s see who they are going to start with.

“I will also like to use this position to ask those states that have already announced (reopening), I appeal to them. I think it is not safe. I feel responsible for all children, not just those who are in federal government controlled schools. Please let’s save our children from this.

“One infected child is enough to infect a whole class. When they close from class they go into the dormitory, this is not the right time to open schools. I appeal to the states that have already announced to reconsider it”, he said.

When asked if Nigeria will be the only country to miss out of the WAEC examinations, he said “me as Minister of Education, if I’m given the chance, I don’t mind Nigeria losing a whole school year than exposing our children to danger. WAEC is a parastatal of the Ministry of Education, they cannot determine for the government what it does”, he said.

READ ALSO  JUST IN: Police arrest 19 suspects terrorising Sango-Ifo in Ogun [Photos]

Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Inspirational Tips

Advertisement
Loading...

Trending

WhatsApp Join Our WhatsApp Chat
%d bloggers like this: