Connect with us
//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

Published

on

A prosecution witness in a defilement case against a cleric, Abdulsalam Salaudeen, on Thursday, narrated how he allegedly caught the defendant in the act with a hidden camera.

Mr Ebenezer Omejalile, a social worker and child protection consultant, testified before an Ikeja Sexual Offences and Domestic Violence Court.

He was led in evidence by Mr Akin George, lead state prosecutor.

Salaudeen, 43, who resides at No. 16, Awoyemi St., Ikotun, , is facing a charge of child defilement contrary to Section 137 of the Criminal Law of , 2015.

Omejalile told the court that a hidden camera was set up in a Lagos mosque, which captured the cleric engaging in sodomy with a pupil.

Omejalile told the court how he got wind of Salaudeen’s alleged unlawful act.

“A community-mandated reporter drew my attention to what was happening in the community.

“She said that Alfa Abdulsalam had been abusing children who attend his Islamic in the community,” the witness said.

Omejalile said that he then embarked on a “social inquiry” and found the claim to be true.

“We (Omejalile and his team members) also found out that he was not just a cleric, he was regarded as a demi-god in the community.

“We got a laser camera and we planted the laser camera within the vicinity of the mosque,” he said.

The witness said that the camera caught Salaudeen in the act of defiling one of his pupils, a five-year-old girl (name withheld).

The social worker said the graphic footage was obtained and transferred into a phone.

He said the mobile phone was taken to the Child Protection Unit of the Lagos State Ministry of Youth and Social Development.

He said that staff of the unit, however, refused to attend to the matter, causing him go to the police.

“When I got there, they were not ready to attend to the issue; they told me in that they did not want to see something unusual.

“I proceeded immediately to the of the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), I gave him a copy of the footage which was sent to the then Lagos State Commissioner of Police (CP), Mr Edgal Imohimi.

“Initially, the CP found it difficult to believe the because of its graphic nature and kept asking if I was sure of its authenticity. It took a week for him to act on it.

“Meanwhile, the mandated reporter kept calling me, saying that children were still being sexually abused by the cleric.

“I called the PPRO to immediately act on it or the press would be contacted, and on Dec. 28, 2018, a team was set up to arrest the Alfa,” he testified.

He told the court that the team comprised himself, police officers from the State Investigation Bureau (SIB) and the Gender Unit.

Omejalile said that on the day scheduled to effect the defendant’s arrest, Gender Unit refused to go with the team to apprehend Salaudeen.

He said when the team arrived at Igando, the defendant was absent and members of the community were resistant, and when Salaudeen arrived, he feigned ignorance of the mission of the police team.

The witness said that even when the name of the five-year-old girl, who the defendant allegedly molested was mentioned to give him a hint of the mission, he insisted he knew nothing about it.

“We went to the home of the survivor in the video and met her who was plaiting her hair, and the survivor was identified,” he said.

Omejalile said that the team wanted leave the community with 10 pupils of the Islamic cleric but youths who gathered around became hostile.

“I pulled one of the youths aside and I showed him the video and he immediately calmed the other youths down.

“After all the arguments, the Alfa resisted and still said he did not know why he was being taken away; when we told him it was on the CP’s orders, he agreed,” he said.

Omejalile said that the defendant was taken to the SIB located in Ikeja, where he continued to deny committing the offence until he was shown the video footage.

“When the video was shown to him, he burst into tears and accepted that he committed the crime.

“The 10 other children from his Islamic school were taken to the Juvenile Welfare Centre located at Alakara.

“We had called their parents to identify them after they were picked up from the mosque.

“At a point, the Child Protection Unit of the Lagos State Ministry of Youth and Social Development took over the children,” the social worker said.

At this point, George requested that the case be adjourned because there was no electricity to play the graphic video in the courtroom.

Justice Abiola Soladoye adjourned the case until Feb. 10 for continuation of trial, NAN reports.

Loading...
  • alfa rapes girl in mosque

Abass Sulaiman Adegoke, well known as Adegoke is a student of Federal Polytechnic Ede studying Civil Engineering, He is a media enthusiast, loves traveling, and has a special interest in personal development.

Advertisement //pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "pub-7404936528073869", enable_page_level_ads: true });
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

BREAKING: Germans await flight at Lagos airport for evacuation

Published

on

By

lagos nigeria BREAKING: Germans await flight at Lagos airport for evacuation F83CC4AA 75D4 4941 83C5 48D311E453DD 750x375 1

Over 100 German nationals have completed airport security formalities ahead of their evacuation by Lufthansa German Airline to Frankfurt from the international wing of the Airport.

Airport and Immigration sources disclosed this to The Nation on Thursday.

A security source at Lagos Airport said the Germans have undergone airport security formalities and screening for COVID-19 as they await the Lufthansa flight which landed in the afternoon for the evacuation under ‘emergency’ and ‘humanitarian’ flight operations.

Also on ground at the airport is an Air France aircraft, which is expected to airlift many French nationals purportedly stranded in the country.

A source at the Lagos Airport hinted that the United States of America is planning same operations that would last till Friday.

The United States Mission in Nigeria had announced the commencement of evacuation of its citizens from Nigeria.
This came after Germany, Israel, and France evacuated their nationals following the rising cases of coronavirus disease in the country.

Loading...
Continue Reading

News

You’ll regret defying lockdown order if caught, LASTMA tells motorists

Published

on

By

You’ll regret defying lockdown order if caught, LASTMA tells motorists LATSMA

The State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA) on Thursday read the riot acts to motorists to remind them that they are not exempted from the government’s lockdown order.

The authority advised motorists to comply with the government’s directive and desist from any action that could bring regret to them if caught on the road.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that President Muhammadu Buhari, in a broadcast to the nation on Sunday evening on the Coronavirus pandemic , directed cessation of all movements in Lagos and the FCT for an initial period of 14 days with effect from 11p.m. on Monday.

Buhari, who noted that this restriction would also apply to Ogun due to its close proximity to Lagos State and the high traffic between the two states, said that the step was to stop the spread of the virus.

Mr Olajide Oduyoye, the General Manager of LASTMA, commenting on the directive on Thursady said the level of compliance in the state by motorists was pretty good.

He, however, advised motorists not to defy the order warning that those caught violating it would regret if caught.

Oduyoye said: “I think the compliance rate by the people to the lockdown order by the government is still within the region of between 90 per cent and 95 per cent.

“You may feel you want to take a risk and you think you will get away with it but note that once you are caught, you will regret that action because there is a purpose for everything.

“The government has said to the people: stay-at-home; keep your vehicles at home, there is no need for you to be on the road and be driving to go and visit or for whatever.”

The LASTMA boss, who advised those still defying the order to have a rethink, said that the government directive was for the good of all residents.

“The enforcement agencies: LASTMA, the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), Police and others are on the road to ensure compliance by the public.

“When they catch any motorist on the road and does not have an identity card to the purpose of your journey, or the reason you are on the road, you will regret that action.

“The good thing for all is to try not to do anything that they will regret,”Oduyoye said.

He said that vehicles of those providing essential services only were expected to be on the road.

The LASTMA boss, however, urged motorists exempted from the lockdown to ensure strict adherence to traffic rules and avoid speeding due to light traffick on the roads. (NAN)

Loading...
  • alfa rapes girl in mosque
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Inspirational Tips

Advertisement
Loading...

Trending

WhatsApp Join Our WhatsApp Chat
Open chat
Powered by
%d bloggers like this: