Connect with us
//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

Published

on

Panic on Saturday gripped Ado Ekiti, capital of Ekiti state, as a suspected bomb explosion rocked Ekiti state old government Secretariat.

The explosion, according to information made available to DAILY POST occurred around 7.05 am and shook some buildings located two kilometres away causing panic among residents.

The old government secretariat is located at Oke Ori Omi area of the metropolis, it also houses the ministry of local government and chieftaincy affairs.

The explosion is reported to have emanated from the Ordinance Explosive Disposal Department (EoD) of the Ekiti Police Command, situated within the premises of the secretariat popularly called old ’s .

Reports from residents indicate that the sound of the explosion reverberated as far Okesa, Okeyinmi, Irona and Ilawe road.

A bungalow, housing the EoD office was reduced to rubble while the adjoining offices that housed the office of the Nigerian Union of Journalists, correspondents’ chapel, Ekiti chapter was also affected.

All the offices around the area were affected, with their louvre blades and glasses shattered to pieces while the asbestos and polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) ceiling, doors and windscreen of vehicles parked around the offices were also removed and scattered .

As of 10.00am, the police Commissioner, Mr Asuquo Amba and officers of the anti bomb squad were still removing some of the explosive materials from the area.

Governor Kayode Fayemi and the Deputy Governor, Chief Bisi Egbeyemi, also visited the site of the explosion.

Fayemi, however, said the EoD office shouldn’t have been located in the area, saying : “it ought to be in a far distance.

The CP while addressing newsmen at the site of the bomb blast added that he suspected that the explosion was caused by counter terrorism accessories kept in office.

He said: ” Let my men from anti bomb department check around. Officers of the anti bomb are combing the place as you can see.

“This is the office where they keep detonation accessories. The explosion must have been caused by equipment kept in their stock .

“The area has been cordoned off. We are going to devise means of ensuring in the stocking of these equipment next time.

“We are happy that there is no loss of life, no casualty. Some of these devices are used to detect bombs and to detonate it . Some of them used to detonate on their own and that must have caused the explosion, Amba stated.

A statement signed by the Commissioner for Information, Muyiwa Olumilua , shortly after the incident , said: “an explosion was reported earlier this morning at the Explosives Ordnance Disposal (EOD) office in Ado Ekiti.

“An initial on -the- spot assessment confirms that there are no casualties and the area is secured with no further threats.

“Members of the public are advised to go about their normal duties”, the statement said.

Loading...

Abass Sulaiman Adegoke, well known as Adegoke is a student of Federal Polytechnic Ede studying Civil Engineering, He is a media enthusiast, loves traveling, and has a special interest in personal development.

Advertisement //pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "pub-7404936528073869", enable_page_level_ads: true });
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Amotekun: Our own security operation will be everywhere, Nigeria’s breakup won’t affect us – Miyetti Allah

Published

on

By

Amotekun: Our own security operation will be everywhere, Nigeria’s breakup won’t affect us – Miyetti Allah 20200222 145014 1

Miyetti Allah Kautel Hore socio-cultural organisation, has said that it may be pushed to set up its own security operation in the country, adding that if that happens, no one can control it.

Speaking through its National President, Abdullahi Bodejo , in an interview with the Sun, the organization also declared that ’s breakup won’t affect the Fulani in any way.

Bodejo said he is so afraid the way regions are coming up with illegal security outfits, “One group calls its own, Amotekun; another group calls its own Shege ka fasa”, declaring that he does not support anything illegal.

The Fulani leader pointed out that it would be a disaster for the country if all the groups are allowed to form their own security.

He explained that the Fulani are in every corner, “if the Fulani should set up its own, how many countries will that be; how many countries do they not have brothers- Our brothers are in Cameroun, Niger, Chad, Mali etc. Some migrated to Ghana to rear their cows and other parts of the world.”

He said his organization is looking at the response of the government and security agencies to the formation of these ”illegal security outfits, “because if it comes to our side. I don’t think it is something that anybody can control.”

“If we are pushed to set up our own security outfit, nobody can control it because nobody knows how many Fulani in Nigeria; we are more than every tribe in this country, we are in every corner,” Bodejo warned.

“If anything happens to this country whether break up, nothing can affect the Fulani. Nothing can affect the Fulani,” he added.

He said, however, that Fulani are blessed people who are managing themselves, but are hated by Nigerians “who do not want to take their eyes off them.”

Loading...
Continue Reading

News

Abacha loot: Malami reacts as US opposes Buhari govt’s ‘plan’ to hand Atiku $100m

Published

on

By

Abacha loot: Malami reacts as US opposes Buhari govt’s ‘plan’ to hand Atiku $100m 20200222 143837 1

’s Attorney-General and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, has dismissed United States’ reported opposition to alleged plan by the President Muhammadu Buhari government to hand $100million to Kebbi , Atiku Bagudu, from recovered Sani Abacha loot

Malami, through Umar Jibrilu Gwandu, his Special Assistant on Public Relations, called the news widely published by the Nigerian media as false.

“The story regarding paying a Governor certain amount of the repartraited Abacha loot is unfounded and baseless.

“It is only a fiction and figment of imagination of mischief makers who are bent on destroying the good efforts of the Federal Government.

“The should be disregarded by any sensible and well-meaning persons”, Gwandu said in a statement Friday night.
Bloomberg had reported that there was a commitment by Nigeria to transfer funds to Bagudu after the repatriation of over $308million.

The U.S. Department of Justice (DoJ) stated that Bagudu was part of Abacha network that, “embezzled, misappropriated and extorted billions from the government of Nigeria.”

The U.S. is also seeking to seize some assets linked to the chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC) Governors Forum.

The world power, following a Nigerian government request in 2012, initiated a forfeiture action, including investment portfolios held in London in trust for the Kebbi helmsman.

In about two decades, Nigeria has been able to recover more than $2billion out of the $5billion Transparency International estimated Abacha stole.

Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Inspirational Tips

Advertisement
Loading...

Trending

WhatsApp Join Our WhatsApp Chat
Open chat
Powered by
%d bloggers like this: