Connect with us
//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

Published

on

, Babajide Sanwo-Olu has raised alarm over fake news circulating about coronavirus.

He spoke on Tuesday at a Stakeholders’ Forum on the Management and Control of COVID-19 (coronavirus).

Represented by his Deputy, Obafemi Hamzat, Sanwo-Olu called on community, religious and traditional leaders, associations, educationists and other stakeholders to spread information essential for containment of the virus.

“Apart from the threat of coronavirus, an issue of great concern is fake news on social media about the patient currently receiving treatment at a government facility,” he said.

Sanwo-Olu advised that information which did not emanate from the Federal Ministry of Health, Lagos State Ministry of Health or the National Centre for Disease Control should be authenticated.

He assured that the government was prepared to handle any further incidents of the case.

Sanwo-Olu said that owing to the state government’s experience with Ebola in 2014, the government, in partnership with the Canadian Government, set up Biosafety Level-3 Laboratory at the Mainland Hospital Yaba.

He said that the laboratory was to enhance the capacity to manage any disease outbreak.

The governor appealed to persons with fever, cough or difficulty in breathing, to seek medical attention immediately.

Loading...

Abass Sulaiman Adegoke, well known as Adegoke is a student of Federal Polytechnic Ede studying Civil Engineering, He is a media enthusiast, loves traveling, and has a special interest in personal development.

Advertisement //pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "pub-7404936528073869", enable_page_level_ads: true });
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

COVID-19: UK, US record deadliest days of pandemic

Published

on

By

COVID-19: UK, US record deadliest days of pandemic coronavirus crisis 600x375 1

Both the United Kingdom and the United States have recorded their deadliest days of the coronavirus pandemic so far.

In the UK, another 708 deaths were reported on Saturday as people were told to stay inside despite warm, sunny weather.

The total number of deaths recorded in Britain is now 4353, with more than 41,000 cases confirmed across England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

The youngest victim announced on Saturday was just five years old, according to NHS England.

The child is now believed to be the youngest coronavirus death in Europe after a 12-year-old girl passed away in Belgium earlier this week.

Read Also: Trump again tests negative for coronavirus

Britain’s death toll has been steadily increasing at more than 500 deaths a day this week and the country is bracing for an expected peak in the next week to 10 days.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson, who is in self-isolation after developing mild symptoms of the disease, ordered a three-week lockdown of the country on March 23 to try to cut infections.

But there has been concern that warmer weather forecast for this weekend could tempt people from their homes to green spaces and public parks.

“I just urge you not to do that,” Johnson said in a video message on Friday.

“Please, please stick with the guidance now.”

Health Secretary Matt Hancock also warned against any relaxation in social distancing. “If we do, people will die,” he told a daily briefing on the government’s response on Friday.

In the US, more than 1000 people died in just one day, raising its total death toll to 8000. More than 30,000 new cases were also confirmed for the first time, pushing its total number of infections above 290,000, according to John Hopkins University.

The United States has the most confirmed coronavirus cases of any country in the world – more than double the rate of Italy, who has the second most cases.

Everyone in the United States is now being urged to wear homemade cloth masks to prevent coronavirus cases from skyrocketing further – however President Donald Trump has so far said he will not comply with the request.

(The Nation)

Loading...
Continue Reading

News

COVID-19: Chinese experts coming to share experince only – DG NOA

Published

on

By

COVID-19: Chinese experts coming to share experince only – DG NOA Coronavirus 2

Dr Garba Abari, Director-General, National Orientation Agency (NOA), said on Saturday that the Federal Government was not importing Chinese medical experts to directly take charge of the fight against Covid-19 pandemic.

Abari stated this when he featured on a Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria (FRCN) live programme in Abuja.

He explained that the 18-man Chinese medical team was only coming to share experience with the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), on how the pandemic was handled in China.

“Whatever information the Chinese medical team made available to NCDC will be filtered and applied to address the peculiar challenges of the country on handling Covid-19 scourge.

“This is a global pandemic and from wherever assistance comes, you cannot reject it.

“For instance, the United States is opening its doors to all volunteers that will come and assist them because they are also getting overwhelmed.

“Despite its fine medical facilities and expertise, US is now saying any form of assistance coming from anywhere that will add value to the fight against Covid-19 is welcome.

“It is not as if the government of Nigeria is not appreciating efforts of its own medical experts. This is the time when Nigeria is proud and appreciating its own medical experts and showcasing its best.

“This is the time that Nigeria is mopping all its competent hands, both active and inactive, and bringing them together with a view to ensure that we beef up competent human capacity required to address the issue at hand,” he said.

Abari, who said that humanity is being challenge by Covid-19, stressed the need for everybody to contribute meaningfully to the war against the virus.

He said that the Federal Government was responding favourably to the need to provide palliatives to the vulnerable groups, including persons living with disabilities, through the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs and Social Investment.

Abari appealed to citizens, who had shown symptoms of the virus, to quickly present themselves to NCDC for testing and proper medical attention, to avoid endangering the lives of other people.

He also admonished citizens to maintain high standard of personal hygiene by washing their hands constantly or applying alcohol-based sanitiser.

The DG also enjoined citizens to be law abiding by obeying the stay-at-home directives of government, declaring “together we shall defeat Covid-19.” (NAN)

Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Inspirational Tips

Advertisement
Loading...

Trending

WhatsApp Join Our WhatsApp Chat
Open chat
Powered by
%d bloggers like this: