Connect with us
//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

Published

on

The Civil Society Legislative Advocacy Centre (CISLAC) has expressed concern over the dethronement and banishment of former Emir of Kano State, Muhammadu Sanusi II by the Umar Ganduje-led state government.

The body called on President Muhammadu Buhari to intervene by ensuring that Sanusi enjoys all his rights and freedom of movement, as clear demonstration for leadership, respect for civility, democratic core values and the constitution.

Auwal Ibrahim Musa, CISLAC Executive Director, in a statement on Tuesday also condemned the disproportionate deployment of government mercenaries including the Police and other security institutions to amplify tussles and public harassment.

It said: “We received the dethronement as nothing but clear infringement of the fundamental rights as guaranteed under Sections 34, 35, 36, 40 and most especially section 41 of the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria as amended, which safeguards the right of every citizen of Nigeria to move freely throughout Nigeria and to reside in any part thereof.

“We vehemently and categorically uphold our position on citizens’ right to freedom of expression and movement as guaranteed under Section 39 and 41 of the Constitution. There is no justification for the humiliation, inhumane and degrading treatments as imposed on Sanusi upon his banishment.

“Just as the pronounced banishment by the State Government contravenes Section 35 of the Constitution which safeguards every person’s right to his/her personal liberty, stating that no person should be deprived of such liberty except in circumstances set out in Subsection 35(a-f), given the procedure permitted by law as none of such procedure is followed in the instance case.

“We urge all government institutions including the security institutions to refrain and dissuade from undemocratic and inhumane actions that is tantamount to harassment, intimidation and oppression of citizens on the basis of exercising their legal mandates.”

CISLAC further called on the civil society, media and well-meaning Nigerians to rise up in discouraging unconstitutional and undemocratic actions against any citizen.

Meanwhile, Sanusi, a former Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Governor, has taken action against his banishment.

Loading...

Abass Sulaiman Adegoke, well known as Adegoke is a student of Federal Polytechnic Ede studying Civil Engineering, He is a media enthusiast, loves traveling, and has a special interest in personal development.

Advertisement //pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "pub-7404936528073869", enable_page_level_ads: true });
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

BREAKING: UCH CMD tests negative for COVID-19

Published

on

By

BREAKING: UCH CMD tests negative for COVID-19 UCH IBADAN CMD

After eight days of isolation and treatment, the Chief Medical Director (CMD) of the University College Hospital (UCH), Ibadan, Prof. Jesse Otegbayo, has tested negative for COVID-19.
,
The Nation gathered through the Head of Public Relations Unit of the hospital Mr Toye Akinrinlola that the last test on his blood sample has come back negative.

Akinrinlola said the test result arrived at about 3:45 pm to gladden the heart of family, friends and workers of the institution.

Otegbayo had tested positive to the virus seven days ago.

He said he may have contracted the virus through Board meetings of the hospital held from Monday to Wednesday last week.

The week-long meetings were suspended on Thursday after some members showed symptoms of COVID-19.

He was among the eight confirmed cases in Oyo State as at Wednesday April 1.

The Provost of the College of Medicine and his deputy have also tested positive for the virus and have since placed themselves in self-isolation.

Loading...
Continue Reading

News

Africa COVID-19 death toll hits 214, total cases rise to 6,075 – WHO

Published

on

By

Africa COVID-19 death toll hits 214, total cases rise to 6,075 – WHO coronavirus 5 750x375 1

The World Health Organisation (WHO), Regional Office for Africa in Brazzaville, Congo, says there are now 6,075 confirmed cases of Coronavirus (COVID-19) on African continent with 214 deaths.

The UN’s health agency gave the update in its regional official twitter account @WHOAFRO on Thursday.

“They are 6,075 cases on the African continent, with 214 deaths and 478 recoveries reported.

“In past seven days, four new countries in the Region have confirmed cases of COVID-19, including Botswana, Burundi, Guinea Bissau and Sierra Leone.”

The agency said South Africa currently had the highest in the region with 1,380 cases and five deaths, Algeria 847 cases with 58 deaths and Burkina Faso has 261 confirmed cases with 14 deaths.

“Nigeria has 174 confirmed cases, nine have been discharged with two deaths,’’ it stated.

 

(The Nation)

Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Inspirational Tips

Advertisement
Loading...

Trending

WhatsApp Join Our WhatsApp Chat
Open chat
Powered by
%d bloggers like this: