Connect with us
//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

Published

on

As coronavirus spreads across the globe, countries in Africa are taking preventive measures to keep the disease out and many are showing a strong level of preparedness to counter its spread.

There are now more than 100 cases recorded in 11 countries in Africa, according to the latest figures from the World Health Organization.

Egypt remains the nation with the most reported cases with 59, more than half of all confirmed cases on the continent.

Most of the cases in Egypt are among passengers and crew members aboard a Nile cruise ship coming from southern city of Aswan to Luxor, Egypt state-run Ahram Online reported.

Egypt’s health ministry announced Sunday that a German citizen was the first death from the virus in the country, according to Ahram Online.

Handwashing at bus stops

Although there are no confirmed cases of coronavirus in Rwanda, citizens are encouraged to maintain good hygiene.

A posted by The New Times Rwanda on Twitter shows commuters washing their hands at taps installed at a bus station in Kigali.

Similarly, Kenya has not confirmed any cases of coronavirus, but it has opened a 120-bed quarantine center in the capital Nairobi. It also has two testing facilities, which countries in the region rely on.

In South Africa, with 13 cases of the virus so far, citizens can now walk into private laboratories and pay for private coronavirus tests costing around $75, according to local media report

In Lagos, , temperature screenings and use of hand sanitizers before entering public spaces such as banks, offices and restaurants are becoming mandatory to limit the spread of the disease.

Signs informing the public on the best practices to avoid contracting coronavirus can be seen in parts of the city. Scores of health have been deployed at international airports in Nigeria to screen all arriving passengers.

READ ALSO  COVID-9: Ekiti to release “low risk prisoners”

Similar measures have also been adopted across the continent and passengers with suspected cases of the virus are placed in quarantine.

‘Ebola helped us prepare’

A second patient was confirmed in Nigeria earlier in the week. The person became ill after coming into contact with an Italian citizen who had traveled to Africa’s most populous country last month, according to the country’s health ministry.

The 44-year-old Italian man visited two states before he was diagnosed with the virus in late February. He remains in isolation in a stable condition, officials said.

Health officials have been working against the clock to trace all those who came into contact with the Italian man.

Those that have been traced will remain in isolation while tests are conducted, the country’s National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) said.

Health officials told CNN that Nigeria’s experience with Ebola in 2014 has prepared the country for outbreaks such as coronavirus.

NCDC director Chikwe Ihekweazu pointed to the with which Nigeria identified and confined the patient as a sign the country is prepared to deal with the outbreak.

“The system worked. We identified this case, diagnosed and isolated within 48 hours of it entering the country,” Ihekweazu said. In other countries like Iran and Italy for instance, by the time the first case had been confined, there was widespread contact.”

READ ALSO  WHO Issues Guidance On Locally-Made Face Masks

He added: “We successfully managed Ebola … and are currently managing Lassa fever. We have a strong team that is used to doing this.”

The NCDC has been lauded for the level of detail and information it has put out since Nigeria recorded its first case last month.

It publishes daily reports on its ongoing efforts to trace all those who had contact with the first patient and has posted a WhatsApp number where it can be reached for inquiries.

Travel bans

The outbreak has prompted air travel restrictions and cancellations of high-level conferences across the continent.

Uganda has banned visitors traveling from some ‘highly hit’ countries, including the US, China, France, Germany, Iran, Italy, South Korea and Spain.

“Government has decided to ask travelers from the affected countries not to come to Uganda because the high cases they are reporting can easily be imported into the country,” the country’s health minister Jane Ruth Aceng said in a statement on Monday.

South Africans in Wuhan lockdown call for evacuation from coronavirus outbreak epicenter
South Africans in Wuhan lockdown call for evacuation from coronavirus outbreak epicenter

Aceng said those who insist on visiting the East Africa nation from these countries would have to self-isolate at their own cost for 14 days either in their home or at a government facility. Ugandans in affected countries are not exempted from the travel ban.

Uganda also postponed the 2020 United Nations G77 and China Summit scheduled for mid-April in the Ugandan capital of Kampala due to the coronavirus threat, the minister said. More than 6,000 delegates from 136 member states were expected to attend.

Rwanda Air, Kenya Airways and Morocco’s Royal Air Maroc are among some African airlines that have suspended flights to China. Ethiopia Airlines, however, tweeted that it will keep operating flights to China while adhering to international standards to ensure the safety of their passengers.

READ ALSO  FG Pays N4.6bn To 55,031 Health Workers, N9bn For Life Insurance

Reported cases

The countries with reported cases as of Wednesday, according to the World Health Organization, include the following:

  • Algeria — 20
  • Burkina Faso — 2
  • Cameroon — 2
  • Democratic Republic of Congo –1
  • Egypt — 59 (includes 1 death)
  • Morocco — 3 (includes 1 death)
  • Nigeria — 2
  • Senegal — 4
  • South Africa — 13
  • Tunisia — 5
  • Togo — 1

South Africa on Wednesday released a statement saying it had recorded six new cases of the virus, bringing the total number to 13.

The new cases include a 33-year-old woman who had traveled to Italy and returned on March 1 and a couple, a 34-year-old male and a 33-year-old female, who had traveled to Germany and returned on March 9, authorities said.

Morocco confirmed its first fatality due to coronavirus, according to local media reports. An 89-year-old woman who had other health complications died from the virus, the health ministry said.

 

Source:CNN

Loading...

Abass Sulaiman Adegoke, well known as Adegoke is a student of Federal Polytechnic Ede studying Civil Engineering, He is a media enthusiast, loves traveling, and has a special interest in personal development.

Advertisement //pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "pub-7404936528073869", enable_page_level_ads: true });
1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. Pingback: vagragenericaar.org

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Health

COVID-19 Allowances: Lagos doctors declare 3 days warning strike

Published

on

By

Medical doctors in on Sunday declared a three- day warning strike over the state government’s failure to meet their demands.
The doctors under the auspices of Medical Guild are striking over wage disparity between the Federal and Lagos state doctors, COVID-19 Hazard allowances and inducement allowances MOU approved by the Federal Government, non-payment of doctors working in isolation centre as well as unceremoniously disengagement of doctors in the isolation centres without recourse to their welfare.
It could be recalled that the doctors had early served a 21 -day ultimatum to the state government and later extended it by two weeks during which the doctors and the officials of government met but failed to agree.
READ ALSO: Lagos doctors begin 3 days warning strike Monday
Announcing this at a press conference in Lagos, shortly after a meeting with the State Governor, Mr. Babatunde Sanwo-Olu, the Chairman of the Medical Guild, Dr. Oluwajimi Sodipo who said the strike will begin 8 am Monday and ends on Thursday 16th, 2020 said doctors in the isolation Centres were exempted from the strike.
Further explaining the rationale behind the strike, Sodipo said: “if the state government had met 70 per cent of their demands within the period their ultimatum lasted and the two weeks extension, the strike would have been averted.
Giving details of their demands, he said: That the wage disparity between Federal and Lagos State doctors is not being given necessary attention by the government.
“That the issue of COVID 19 hazard allowances and inducement allowances MOU approved by the federal government to her doctors is not being approved by the state government to her doctors.
“That doctors working in the COVID 19 isolation Centres are still being owed two months salaries which have remained unpaid at the moment, they are also being unceremoniously disengaged.”

READ ALSO  Election: INEC gives N1.9m cheque to family of deceased corps member

He further said the congress would reconvene at the end of the three days strike to review the progress made and plan for further action.
Speaking, an ex-officio of the Medical Guild, Dr. Babajide Saheed lamented that the government had the opportunity to avert the warning strike but failed to use it.
“The government had the opportunity to avert the warning strike if they had made efforts to do the needful.” they had made efforts to do the needful.”
He said if the government can come up with a circular to do the needful within 24 hours the strike could still be averted

READ ALSO  Coronavirus Can Enter The Body Through The Eyes, Scientists Say

Loading...
Continue Reading

Health

New Study Warns Of Brain Damages Linked To COVID-19

Published

on

By

A new study has found that infection with COVID-19 can lead to brain damages, including delirium and nerve damage, the study by researchers at University College London (UCL) showed on Wednesday.

According to the researchers, since COVID-19 broke out, there appeared to be a “concerning increase” of a rare brain inflammation known to be triggered by viral infections.

In the UCL study, nine COVID-19 patients with brain inflammation were diagnosed with a rare condition called acute disseminated encephalomyelitis, which is typically seen in children and can affect both the brain and spinal cord.

READ ALSO  Election: INEC gives N1.9m cheque to family of deceased corps member

They said that some of the 43 patients studied did not have respiratory symptoms.

Dr Ross Paterson, of UCL Queen Square Institute of Neurology, and joint first author on the study, was quoted by local media as saying that “we might not yet know what long-term damage COVID-19 can cause.”

READ ALSO  Ramadan: 80 persons arrested in Kano for eating in public

As a result, the researchers called for systematic surveillance of brain complications as a result of COVID-19 infection.

(The Nation)

Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Inspirational Tips

Advertisement
Loading...

Trending

WhatsApp Join Our WhatsApp Chat
%d bloggers like this: