Connect with us
//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

Published

on

Justice Babatunde Quadri of Federal High Court, Abuja, on Monday, May 11, 2020, ordered the final forfeiture of $300,000 belonging to a Chinese national, Li Yan Pin, to the Federal Government of Nigeria.

 

The judge had earlier ordered the interim forfeiture of the money following an exparte application filed by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC.

 

Yan Pin stood trial for a money laundering charge leveled against him by the EFCC over the said sum after intelligence led to his arrest at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, for failing to declare the money in his possession, as he attempted to board a flight to China en-route Dubai.

 

Justice Quadri in his judgment noted that the prosecution has proved its case beyond every reasonable doubt and found the defendant guilty of the charges, according to Section 2, sub-section (5) of the Money Laundering Prohibition Act, 2011, as amended in 2012.

 

The defense counsel in its response pleaded with the court to temper justice with mercy,  as the convict, he said had invested his resources to the development of Nigeria, and currently facing difficult health challenges.

 

He also noted that his client has no prior criminal conviction.

 

While ordering that the said sum be forfeited to the Federal Government, Justice Quadri, saved the convict a jail term on the ground that he had earlier filed for a medical leave over alleged COVID 19 symptoms that included persistent headache, insomnia, and fatigue.

Loading...

Abass Sulaiman Adegoke, well known as Adegoke is a student of Federal Polytechnic Ede studying Civil Engineering, He is a media enthusiast, loves traveling, and has a special interest in personal development.

Advertisement //pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "pub-7404936528073869", enable_page_level_ads: true });
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Manager of demolished hotel among 27 new cases of Coronavirus – Rivers government

Published

on

By

Manager of demolished hotel among 27 new cases of Coronavirus – Rivers government 5ecb690b009c9 1

The Rivers state government has announced that the manager of a hotel which was demolished by Governor Nyesom Wike for violating the lockdown order he issued, has tested positive for Coronavirus.

 

In an announcement made on Sunday May 24, the Rivers government said the Manager of Prodest Hotel, Bariledum Azoroh is among the 27 new cases of coronavirus recorded in the State.

 

The state’s commissioner for information, Paul Nsirim also recalled how some COVID-19 Taskforce members who went to enforce the Executive Order at same hotel, were allegedly ”brutalized and dehumanised leading to the death of one of them.”

 

The statement reads;

 

Rivers State has recorded 27 new positive coronavirus cases.

The Manager of Prodest Hotel, Eleme is among the new positive cases.

This latest development validates the State Government’s proactive approach towards the fight against COVID-19.

Recall that Prodest Hotel was demolished two weeks ago because the owners violated Executive Order 7 which banned the operation of hotels.

The COVID-19 Taskforce members from the Local Government who went to enforce the Executive Order were brutalized and dehumanised leading to the death of one of them.

 

Manager of demolished hotel among 27 new cases of Coronavirus  ? Rivers government  Manager of demolished hotel among 27 new cases of Coronavirus – Rivers government 5ecb68570f2c7

Loading...
Continue Reading

News

COVID-19: Curfew now 8p.m. to 5a.m. in Oyo — State task force

Published

on

By

COVID-19: Curfew now 8p.m. to 5a.m. in Oyo — State task force Seyi Makinde 1

The Oyo State COVID-19 Task Force said it has relaxed the existing curfew imposed on the state to between 8 p.m. and 5 a.m.

Mr Taiwo Adisa, Chief Press Secretary to Gov. Seyi Makinde, said in a statement that the decision was reached at the COVID-19 task force meeting presided over by the governor on Sunday in Ibadan.

According to Adisa, the new directive on curfew between 8p.m. and 5a.m. replaces the initial order which pegged the curfew at between 7 p.m. and 5 a.m.

He said the state COVID-19 task force had advised farmers in the state to take advantage of the curfew relaxation to enhance their farming activities.

He said that report from the task force showed that the state had so far recorded 233 COVID-19 positive cases, while 171 of them are active ones.

The media aide further said that some measures were approved for implementation by the Emergency Operations Centre (EOC), which coordinated the operations of the thematic segments of the containment drives.

“One of such is the approval of a facility in Ibadan for use as observation and isolation centre for category of patients after thorough reviews.

“Agreement has been reached with the management of a facility in Ibadan to provide bed spaces for some positive cases whose status have been considered by the experts.

“The state government is also wrapping up further renovation and face-lifting activities at its isolation centres located at Agbami, Jericho, Ibadan, Igbo-Ora, Ogbomoso, Saki and Aawe, near Oyo town,” he said.

Adisa also said that the planned community testing, which could not be kickstarted at the weekend owing to the festivities and public holidays, would commence by the end of the week.

He added that training of health workers that would participate in community testing exercise would commence in 10 locations after the holidays.

Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Inspirational Tips

Advertisement
Loading...

Trending

WhatsApp Join Our WhatsApp Chat
%d bloggers like this: