Connect with us
//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

Published

on

U.S. President Donald Trump has threatened to permanently pull funding from the World Health Organisation (WHO) if it does not commit to “major substantive improvements” within 30 days, according to a letter to the WHO chief shared by Trump on Twitter.

In a four-page letter to WHO director general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Trump set out what he called “repeated missteps” by the organisation.

Trump claimed that the WHO shares the responsibility for the large number of deaths in the crisis.

He alleged that mismanagement on the part of the WHO and reliance on information from China had dramatically worsened the epidemic and spread it globally.

Trump said he would make a temporary freeze of funding permanent and might also reconsider U.S. membership of the organisation at the end of the 30-day deadline if he saw no improvements.

“The only way forward for the World Health Organisation is if it can actually demonstrate independence from China,” the U.S. president asserted.

He said discussions with the organisation on how to reform the WHO had already begun.

“But action is needed quickly. We do not have time to waste.

“I cannot allow American taxpayer dollars to continue to finance an organisation that, in its present state, is so clearly not serving America’s interests,” Trump concluded.

The U.S. president faced international criticism when he announced in April that he would be halting funding to the WHO while a 60- to 90-day review took place.

He has also faced criticism over how the White House initially responded to the virus.

Trump has repeatedly accused the organisation of failing in its response to the coronavirus pandemic.

He has said that U.S. taxpayers provided between 400 and 500 million dollars a year to the organisation.

That funding is largely appropriated by Congress.

Trump’s criticisms of the WHO echo some experts, who say the organisation relied too heavily on information from China in the initial stages of the outbreak. (dpa/NAN)

Loading...

Abass Sulaiman Adegoke, well known as Adegoke is a student of Federal Polytechnic Ede studying Civil Engineering, He is a media enthusiast, loves traveling, and has a special interest in personal development.

Advertisement //pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "pub-7404936528073869", enable_page_level_ads: true });
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

International

Eid el Fitr: Saudi Arabia to Celebrate Eid el Fitr on May 24

Published

on

By

Eid el Fitr: Saudi Arabia to Celebrate Eid el Fitr on May 24 Saudi Arabia 750x375 1

Astronomical calculations have confirmed that there is no possibility for sighting the crescent moon of Shawwal in the evening of Friday, Ramadan 29, corresponding to May 22.

The calculations showed that moon will set before sun on Friday and hence Eid-ul-Fitr would be on Sunday, May 24, after completing 30 days of fasting, according to astronomers at the observatory of Majmaah University near Riyadh, reports Saudi Gazette online.

The observatory sources said, ‘According to the scientific calculations that were published on the astronomical observatory site that sun will set at 6:39pm at 293 degrees, and moon will set at 6:26pm on Friday, Ramadan 29, and this means the setting of the moon happens 13 minutes before sunset.’

‘On Saturday, Ramadan 30, corresponding to May 23, the sun will set at 6:40pm at 239 degrees, and crescent moon will set at 7:23 at 293 degrees, meaning that the crescent will stay on for 43 minutes after sunset at an altitude of 8.84 and elongation of 10.60,’ the observatory said.

Meanwhile, Abdullah Al-Mosnad, professor of climate at the Department of Geography of Al-Qassim University, and founder and head of the committee for naming climatic conditions, emphasised that the crescent moon will set on Friday about 10 minutes before sun in Makkah and therefore Eid will be on Sunday after completion of 30 days of Ramadan.

Loading...
Continue Reading

International

Saudi Arabia, UAE mosques to be closed for Eid prayers – Officials

Published

on

By

Saudi Arabia, UAE mosques to be closed for Eid prayers – Officials Saudi Arabia 750x375 1

Mosques will remain closed for prayers on the Eid-Ul-Fitr festival, Saudi and United Arab Emirates officials said Friday.

They asked the population to adhere to safety guidelines to avoid the spread of the novel coronavirus.

The Eid, which marks the end of the holy fasting month of Ramadan, may come up today or tomorrow in the Gulf region.

The Saudi Press Agency said the Islamic Affairs Minister, Abdullatif al-Sheikh, gave instructions not to have Eid prayers in mosques.

“Muslims will hold the Eid prayer at home because of the pandemic,” it quoted Sheikh Abdul Bari al-Thubaiti, the prayer leader, of the Prophet’s Mosque in Medina, as saying.

During Ramadan, prayers without worshippers were held by Imams in the two holy mosques of Mecca and Medina, in the west of the kingdom.

In the UAE, the Dubai government’s media office said on Twitter that mosques will remain closed and listed a series of Eid customs that should not be observed, including family visits and giving gifts or money to children.

Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Inspirational Tips

Advertisement
Loading...

Trending

WhatsApp Join Our WhatsApp Chat
%d bloggers like this: