Connect with us
// (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});



A meeting of the Lebanese Supreme Defense Council said that a massive blast that occurred in the port of Beirut on Tuesday evening might have been the of maintenance at the site.

The council said at an emergency meeting that followed the blast that a door of the port’s hangar, where explosive materials were stored, did not close properly, local media reported.

Following the tragic incident, the city’s said that half of the Beirut’s buildings were damaged, and hospitals were overcrowded due to a large number of injured people.

More than 80 people were killed and some 4,000 injured.

“(Some) 2,750 tonnes – the amount of ammonium exploded in the port of Beirut – are materials that were seized in 2014 from the Rhosus dry-cargo ship, registered in Moldova, when it was heading to Africa and suffered damages during navigation,” the Defense Council said, as quoted by local LBCI broadcaster.

READ ALSO  FG threatens action against Ghana over treatment of Nigerian traders

During the meeting, representatives of the Lebanese security service said that an explosion took place as a door was being welded, the channel reported.

It was discovered some time ago that the hangar’s door was not properly locked, and there was a gap by the wall, which made it easy to both enter and leave the hangar, the emergency meeting of the defense council said.

READ ALSO  WHO confirms six cases of Ebola in DRC

“A spark led to the burning of explosive materials in the hangar that then led to a blast of 2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate, which is equivalent to 1,800 tonnes of TNT,” Lebanese officials said.

The Lebanese government has declared a three-day mourning for the victims of the tragedy starting Wednesday.

In 2014, the Rhosus cargo ship’s owner abandoned the vessel in Beirut.

Meanwhile, high-risk goods – in particular, ammonium nitrate, which was prohibited from being unloaded or transferred to another vessel by Beirut’s port authorities – remained in the hold.

The cargo stored at the ship was then transported to an appropriate place, but, eventually was moved to hangar 12 at the port.

READ ALSO  South Korea denies that Kim Jong-Un is dead, amid mounting reports

(Premium times)


Abass Sulaiman Adegoke, well known as Adegoke is a student of Federal Polytechnic Ede studying Civil Engineering, He is a media enthusiast, loves traveling, and has a special interest in personal development.

Advertisement // (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "pub-7404936528073869", enable_page_level_ads: true });


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Teenage Covid-19 patient ‘is raped by an ambulance driver while being taken to hospital’ in India




A 19-year-old girl was allegedly raped by an ambulance driver on her way to the hospital after she tested positive for COVID-19.


The teenage girl was reportedly attacked by a man known as V Noufal, 29, while on their way to the Firstline Covid Treatment Centre in Pathanamthitta district of Kerala, India, on Saturday night, September 5.


Noufal was arrested on Sunday morning September 6, after the victim told a staff of the hospital about the alleged incident when she arrived in Pandalam.

READ ALSO  FG threatens action against Ghana over treatment of Nigerian traders


After his arrest, Police said he had not obtained the mandatory clearance certificate before joining as a driver.


Health Minister KK Shailaja described the attack in Kerala as ‘shocking’ and ‘inhuman’.


A health department official told The Indian Express that the driver is usually sent alone to a particular locality to pick up patients to limit the exposure of health workers.


The official said: ‘The driver’s chamber is partitioned and no other staff or nurse accompanies the driver while ferrying patients to hospital.

READ ALSO  91 recovered virus patients test positive again – KCDC


‘This is to limit the exposure of health workers to infected persons. In rare cases, if the patient is serious, we send a nurse. In this case, both patients were stable.’


The attack is the latest in a series of high profile sexual offenses in India. Last week, a three-year-old girl was raped and strangled in the Lakhimpur Kher district, of Uttar Pradesh.

Continue Reading


‘Black Death’ bubonic plague outbreak spreads after man ate infected rodent, killing 3 in Mongolia and 2 in China




A man has died after becoming infected with the bubonic plague as a of eating an infected marmot rodent in Mongolia.


The 38-year-old man is the third victim to have died from bubonic plague in Mongolia as the ” Black Death ” spreads across the country.


He became seriously ill with a high fever in Khovsgol province after eating an infected marmot rodent. He died of respiratory and cardiovascular problems while on a respirator, officials say.


Around 25 people he was in contact with in Tosontsengel district have been tested for the deadly disease.


It is the country’s third fatality from the plague in the past two months.

READ ALSO  Saudi Arabia imposes 24-hour curfew in Mecca and Medina


In July, a 15-year-old boy died in Govi-Altai province, while a 42-year-old man died in Khovd province in August.


A total of 17 of Mongolia’s 21 provinces are now at risk from bubonic plague, according to its National Centre for Communicable Diseases.


Two deaths were also reported in China.


Russia has taken major steps to stop a spread of the Black Death across its frontiers with Mongolia and China.



Tens of thousands of citizens have been vaccinated in border areas in the Tuva and Altai republics of Siberia.


One outbreak was recorded on the Ukok plateau of the Altai Mountains in Russia, for the first time in more than 60 years.

READ ALSO  Virus Syndrome Also Found In French Children, Minister Says


Two other Russian regions, TransBaikal and Buryatia, are also taking action against the killer disease.


Tourists visiting the area have been warned to remain vigilant by Russia’s health watchdog Rospotrebnadzor.


The organisation said: “Infection of people is possible, first of all, when cutting marmots after poaching, or through the bites of infected fleas and ticks that remain in the holes of rodents after their death from the plague.”


Bubonic plague is a bacterial disease spread by fleas living on wild rodents like marmots, which kills in less than 24 hours if not treated quickly.


Up to 200 million people were killed by the Black Death – bubonic plague – in the 14th century.

READ ALSO  BREAKING: APC chairman murdered in Benue

Continue Reading

Inspirational Tips



WhatsApp Join Our WhatsApp Chat
%d bloggers like this: