Connect with us
//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

Published

on

The Nigerian Communications Commission has revised the Unstructured Supplementary Service Data pricing to allow mobile network operators and financial institutions negotiate mutually beneficial rates.
The Executive Vice Chairman , NCC , Prof. Umar Danbatta, said the commission amended the determination earlier issued in July 2019 by removing the price floor and the cap .
According to him, each USSD session is 20 seconds and costs N 1 . 63 per session on the MNO network .
He said the cost should form the basis of negotiations between MNOs and other related service providers using USSD channels .
The amendment was carried out after a dispute between MNOs and financial institutions on the applicable charges for USSD services and the method of billing .
The NCC , in the amended determination which took effect from August 1 , said that if MNOs and financial service providers were unable to agree on rates, it would intervene and the commission ’s decision would be final and binding.
The telecoms regulators said refusal to pay for services provided or to negotiate in good faith would lead to discontinuation of provision of the service , the possible withdrawal of the USSD short code and / or imposition of regulatory sanctions.

READ ALSO  EXCLUSIVE: ‘Ghost workers’ in 19 Borno LGAs received N1.8 billion annually – Report

Loading...
Advertisement //pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "pub-7404936528073869", enable_page_level_ads: true });
11 Comments

11 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

‘Enough is enough’: China attacks US over COVID-19 claims at Security Council

Published

on

By

China on Thursday lashed out at the United States at a high-level UN meeting over its criticism on the coronavirus, with its envoy declaring, “Enough is enough!”
Two days after President Donald Trump used his annual address to the General Assembly to attack China’s record, its ambassador to the United Nations, Zhang Jun, strongly criticized the US role in global affairs.
“I must say, enough is enough! You have created enough troubles for the world already,” he told a Security Council meeting on global governance attended through videoconference by several heads of state.
“The US has nearly seven million confirmed cases and over 200,000 deaths by now. With the most advanced medical technologies and system in the world, why has the US turned out to have the most confirmed cases and fatalities?” he asked in English.
“If someone should be held accountable, it should be a few US politicians themselves.”
Using a phrase often told by US leaders to China, Zhang said, “The US should understand that a major power should behave like a major power.”
The United States “is completely isolated,” he said in remarks enthusiastically backed by his Russian counterpart.
Speaking earlier in the session, the US ambassador to the United Nations, Kelly Craft, voiced anger at the tone.
“You know, shame on each of you. I am astonished and I am disgusted by the content of today’s discussion,” Craft said.
“I am actually really quite ashamed of this Council — members of the Council who took this opportunity to focus on political grudges rather than the critical issue at hand. My goodness.”
Trump in his speech Tuesday had demanded action against China for spreading the “plague” of Covid-19 to the world.China suppressed news of the respiratory disease when it first emerged last year in Wuhan and initial advice played down the risks of transmission.
China’s communist leaders have more recently tried to transform the narrative into one of the country’s success in stopping the virus.
Trump’s response to the pandemic — which he has provocatively called the “China virus” — has emerged as a major political issue as he seeks a new term in the November 3 election.
– Africans seek debt relief –
With concerns over Covid upending global travel, the UN General Assembly went virtual for its annual extravaganza, which usually brings 10,000 people into a congested section of midtown Manhattan.
Several African leaders used their virtual addresses to the General Assembly to plead for more international assistance, fearing that Covid will impede development.
“Our nations are asking for financial support that rises to the level of the economic crisis they’re witnessing,” said Niger’s President Mahamadou Issoufou.
“Just a debt moratorium will not be enough faced with the challenges that have arisen. We simply have to cancel the debt completely,” he said, reiterating a call made Tuesday by his counterpart from the Democratic Republic of Congo, Felix Tshisekedi.
The Group of 20 major economies in mid-April suspended debt payments for the poorest nations through the end of the year as they face major budget shortfalls due to the Covid shutdown.
The African Union is seeking to extend the moratorium through 2021, warning of dire economic effects from the health crisis.
“This pandemic could erase more than a decade of economic growth and social progress achieved by the African continent,” Ivory Coast President Alassane Ouattara said.
Despite the economic concerns, Africa has been one of the regions least affected in health terms by Covid-19, with the continent reporting 1.8 million cases and 34,500 deat

READ ALSO  Xenophobia: Nigerian Embassy in South Africa break silence, tells victims what to do

Loading...
Continue Reading

News

Sept 28 Strike: Nigerian govt, Labour meeting postponed

Published

on

By

The meeting between the Federal Government and the Organised Labour over the hike in fuel price and electricity tariff has been postponed till Monday September 28.

Labour unions had fixed the same day to commence a nationwide strike.

Both parties met in Abuja on Thursday but did not reach an agreement.

Ayuba Wabba, President of the Nigeria Congress (NLC), confirmed that discussions would continue.

“The discussions will continue on Monday, by 3 p.m,” NAN quoted him as saying.

However, the National Industrial Court has granted an interim injunction restraining the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and Trade Union Congress (TUC) from embarking on an industrial action.

READ ALSO  Schools Reopening: We’re Consulting With Stakeholders ― FG

Justice Ibrahim Galadima granted the order pending the hearing and determination of the Motion on Notice.

NEWS:  Nigerian Newspapers: 10 things you need to know this Friday morning

He restrained the unions, their officers, affiliates, privies from preventing workers and other Nigerians from accessing their offices.

Galadima ordered the Inspector General of Police and the Director General, Department of State Services (DSS), to protect workers at offices from harassment by NLC and TUC.

READ ALSO  Bishop Oyedepo blows hot over hate speech bill

Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Inspirational Tips

Advertisement
Loading...

Trending

WhatsApp Join Our WhatsApp Chat
%d bloggers like this: