Connect with us
//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

Published

on

China on Thursday lashed out at the United States at a high-level UN meeting over its criticism on the coronavirus, with its envoy declaring, “Enough is enough!”
Two days after President Donald Trump used his annual address to the General Assembly to attack China’s record, its ambassador to the United Nations, Zhang Jun, strongly criticized the US role in global affairs.
“I must say, enough is enough! You have created enough troubles for the world already,” he told a Security Council meeting on global governance attended through videoconference by several heads of state.
“The US has nearly seven million confirmed cases and over 200,000 deaths by now. With the most advanced medical technologies and system in the world, why has the US turned out to have the most confirmed cases and fatalities?” he asked in English.
“If someone should be held accountable, it should be a few US politicians themselves.”
Using a phrase often told by US leaders to China, Zhang said, “The US should understand that a major power should behave like a major power.”
The United States “is completely isolated,” he said in remarks enthusiastically backed by his Russian counterpart.
Speaking earlier in the session, the US ambassador to the United Nations, Kelly Craft, voiced anger at the tone.
“You know, shame on each of you. I am astonished and I am disgusted by the content of today’s discussion,” Craft said.
“I am actually really quite ashamed of this Council — members of the Council who took this opportunity to focus on political grudges rather than the critical issue at hand. My goodness.”
Trump in his speech Tuesday had demanded action against China for spreading the “plague” of Covid-19 to the world.China suppressed news of the respiratory disease when it first emerged last year in Wuhan and initial advice played down the risks of transmission.
China’s communist leaders have more recently tried to transform the narrative into one of the country’s success in stopping the virus.
Trump’s response to the pandemic — which he has provocatively called the “China virus” — has emerged as a major political issue as he seeks a new term in the November 3 election.
– Africans seek debt relief –
With concerns over Covid upending global travel, the UN General Assembly went virtual for its annual extravaganza, which usually brings 10,000 people into a congested section of midtown Manhattan.
Several African leaders used their virtual addresses to the General Assembly to plead for more international assistance, fearing that Covid will impede development.
“Our nations are asking for financial support that rises to the level of the economic crisis they’re witnessing,” said Niger’s President Mahamadou Issoufou.
“Just a debt moratorium will not be enough faced with the challenges that have arisen. We simply have to cancel the debt completely,” he said, reiterating a call made Tuesday by his counterpart from the Democratic Republic of Congo, Felix Tshisekedi.
The Group of 20 major economies in mid-April suspended debt payments for the poorest nations through the end of the year as they face major budget shortfalls due to the Covid shutdown.
The African Union is seeking to extend the moratorium through 2021, warning of dire economic effects from the health crisis.
“This pandemic could erase more than a decade of economic growth and social progress achieved by the African continent,” Ivory Coast President Alassane Ouattara said.
Despite the economic concerns, Africa has been one of the regions least affected in health terms by Covid-19, with the continent reporting 1.8 million cases and 34,500 deat

READ ALSO  Buhari govt reveals new method to fight corruption

Loading...
Advertisement //pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "pub-7404936528073869", enable_page_level_ads: true });
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

BREAKING: Buratai, GOCs meet over #EndSARS protest

Published

on

By

The hierarchy of the Nigerian Army, including the Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Tukur Buratai, General Officers Commanding (GOC) of the Divisions and Operation Commanders, are brainstorming on the threat to national security occasioned by the #EndSARS protests.

Shortly before the meeting, which is holding in the Army Conference Room at the Defence Headquarters went into closed session, Buratai chastised unnamed international organisations for threatening Military Officers with travel ban over alleged violation of human rights.

READ ALSO  Four persons convicted for violating ‘stay-at-home’ order in Osun

He disclosed the conference will discuss operational and current security issues in the country.

According to him: “Criminal elements are threatening us with travel ban but we are not worried because we must remain in this country to make it better.

“The first time I travelled outside of this country, I was already 50 years and a General, so I don’t mind if I live the rest of my life here”.

READ ALSO  COVID-19: Buhari urged to issue execute order restricting movement

Details shortly…

Loading...
Continue Reading

News

We didn’t hoard palliatives – Nigerian Governors

Published

on

By

Nigerian Governors have denied hoarding COVID-19 palliatives.

They made the denial in reaction to the looting of several warehouses nationwide.

Soon after the End SARS peaceful protests were hijacked, thousands of people in different states burgled storage facilities that housed tonnes of foodstuff.

Most of the items were donated by the Coalition Against COVID-19 (CACOVID).

The body comprises business moguls and companies.

At the peak of the COVID-19 pandemic, they contributed funds and used the same to procure palliatives to assist the federal and state government.

On Monday, the governors insisted that the items were not hidden as widely alleged.

READ ALSO  INEC announces date for Kogi West Senatorial rerun election

Their position was contained in a statement by Abdulrazaq Bello-Barkindo, spokesman of the Nigeria Governors Forum (NGF).

Bello-Barkindo pleaded with members of the public to desist from spreading rumours.

He reiterated that palliatives found in warehouses broken into in Lagos and some other states were kept for members of the society especially vulnerable citizens.

“Until mid-October, when the NGF had its last meeting, up to ten States had not participated in the flag-off ceremonies for the distribution of palliatives in their States. This was because the items meant for distribution in these states had not been completely received from CACOVID.

“Some other States that still had palliatives in their warehouses chose to keep a strategic reserve ahead of a projected second wave of COVID-19. The NGF wishes to state categorically that no State has been involved in or has hoarded any palliatives.”

READ ALSO  FG Creates Platform For Lifting 100 Million Nigerians Out Of Poverty

The NGF told contributors to the palliatives that prior to the looting, states had kept full accounts of all the items received and distributed.

The governor assured that they are doing their best under the circumstances to ameliorate the needs of the population.

Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Inspirational Tips

Advertisement
Loading...

Trending

WhatsApp Join Our WhatsApp Chat
%d bloggers like this: