Connect with us
//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

Published

on

A nursery school teacher in China has been sentenced to death for poisoning dozens of children, one of them apparently fatally, in an act of revenge against a colleague.
A court in the central province of Henan said Wang Yun put sodium nitrite into porridge being prepared for her colleague’s students after a falling out with the colleague.
The attack in March last year made 25 children ill.Reports at the time said they began vomiting and fainting after eating their breakfast. One boy was severely ill for months and died in January, according to news reports.
The court said on Monday that Wang knew sodium nitrite was harmful and acted “with no regard for the consequences”.
Her “criminal methods and circumstances were exceedingly bad, with especially severe circumstances, and she should be severely punished in accordance with the law,” the court’s sentencing statement said.
The court said Wang and the manager of the nursery must compensate the children’s families.
It was not the first time Wang had used sodium nitrite to poison someone, authorities said. In 2017 she put some in her husband’s mug, causing minor injuries.
Sodium nitrite is used for curing meats but can be toxic when ingested in high amounts.
Credit: Guardian UK

READ ALSO  Nigeria Records 681 New COVID-19 Cases As Total Rises To 14,544

Loading...
Advertisement //pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ google_ad_client: "pub-7404936528073869", enable_page_level_ads: true });
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

#EndSARS: Six police officers murdered, 38 injured during Lagos violence – Official

Published

on

By

The police in Lagos State have said six officers were killed in the state in the violence that occurred during the #EndSARS protests.

The Commissioner of Police, Hakeem Odumosu, said this at a press briefing on Tuesday while listing the loss the command has suffered.

“They were gruesomely murdered during the unrest,” he said.

He named the deceased officers as Yard Edward (ASP) attached to Denton Station; Olayinka Erinfolami, an inspector attached to the defunct Anti-Kidnapping Unit; Adegbenro Aderibigbe, an inspector attached to Meiran Division; Abejide Abiodun, a sergeant attached to DOPS SHQ, and two others attached to Orile Division.

Mr Odumosu added that 38 police officers were also injured.

READ ALSO  I’ve nothing to do with Hushpuppi- Saraki

Lagos State experienced widespread violence last week after hoodlums took over the state to destroy and burn down public and private properties and loot valuable items.

Several persons were also injured during the violence.

Listing the police property damaged by the hoodlums, the police chief said 16 police formations were burnt, while another 13 were vandalised and properties looted.

“16 police stations were set ablaze during the unrest. They included Orile, Amukoko, Layeni, Old Area J Command Ajah, Elemoro, New Area J Command Elemoro, Igando, Ebute-Ero, Ajah and its barracks and Ilasamaja Police stations. Others were Makinde and its barracks, Ikotun, Isokoko, Pen-Cinema, Onipanu, and Alade police stations.

READ ALSO  BREAKING: Nigeria records five new COVID-19 cases, 214 in total

In addition, 58 police vehicles at various locations within the state were burnt, while 13 police vehicles were vandalised, the police said.

“Sixty Two (62) vehicles belonging to individuals and those connected with some pending cases (exhibits) were burnt while nine (9) vehicles were vandalised by the hoodlums.

“Fifteen (15) motorcycles and tricycles were burnt, while sixty five (65) were vandalised at various locations within the state,” the police added.

 

Meanwhile, the police said 520 suspects have been arrested in the state for offences including arson, robbery, murder, rioting, malicious damage and unlawful possession of firearms.

READ ALSO  Nigeria Decides 2019: INEC REC explains why elections will be cancelled

The police said investigation into the cases have commenced.

Loading...
Continue Reading

News

Reps Warn As FG Considers Regulating Of Social Media

Published

on

By

MEMBERS of the House of Representatives, on Tuesday, warned the Federal Government against a clampdown on social media. Chairman, House Committee on Information, National Orientation, Ethics and Values, Honourable Odebunmi Olusegun and Honourable Emmanuel Oghene sounded the warning when the Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, appeared for the 2021 budget defence.

The minister had, during his presentation, said though the social media had come to stay, there, however, was the need for the country to have a social media policy that will regulate it and check fake news and misinformation.

Referring to fake news and misinformation as the biggest challenge facing the country, Mohammed said the nation needed a national policy on social media to determine what could be seen and what cannot be seen.

READ ALSO  It will take a miracle for Coronavirus to disappear- Pastor Adeboye

The minister said: “the biggest challenge facing Nigeria today is fake news and misinformation. Based on that, we dedicated an entire National Council on Information meeting to that issue after which we launched a national campaign against fake news in July 2018.

“We said then that the next war will be fought without a shot being fired, but with the use of fake news. We didn’t stop there. We went on a tour of media houses to solicit their support in the fight against fake news. We launched the campaign to regulate social media which was bitterly contested by the stakeholders.

“We kept saying that if we don’t regulate social media, it will destroy us. In 2017, there was a fake video of the herdsmen and farmers’ crisis. It was a video of what happened in Tanzania and was played in Nigeria as if it was true.

READ ALSO  President buhari ministry list.

“In 2017, a very popular entertainer in Nigeria raised a false alarm that students of the College of Education, Gidan Ways, Kaduna State, had been murdered.

“There was almost a reprisal only for him to find out that it was not true. In the same 2017, we found out that some of the videos being posted are things that happened in other parts of the world. When there was a problem between South Africans and Nigerians, they were posting videos of what happened in India and Tanzania to suggest that Nigerians were being roasted alive. That was what led to the reprisals in the malls.”

READ ALSO  I’ve nothing to do with Hushpuppi- Saraki

Loading...
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Inspirational Tips

Advertisement
Loading...

Trending

WhatsApp Join Our WhatsApp Chat
%d bloggers like this: