Ewedu soup is the green slimy soup obtained from cooking the ewedu leaves; the English name of this plant is jute mallow with the botanical name Corchorus olitorius. This soup is usually cooked by Yoruba people in Nigeria. The ewedu soup is mainly eaten with amala and can be combined with local bean soup which is locally known as gbegiri. Most people prefer combining it this way when they want to eat this soup.
Apart from ewedu being one of the most important vegetables to the Yoruba people, there are so many health benefits attached to eating this soup. Find below some of the health benefits attached to eating ewedu soup:
1. For the beautification of the skin: Ewedu leaves contain vitamins that increase the production of collagen in the body. This makes the skin more firm and beautiful. You should take this soup more often in order to have and maintain a beautiful skin.
2. It enhances bowel movement: Ewedu soup is an adequate source of fibre. This means that the soup is quite helpful in controlling weight. It also eases bowel movement and promotes the intestinal health.
3. It contains anti-oxidants: Ewedu soup contains anti-oxidants that are highly beneficial to the body. These anti-oxidants contained in the leaves protect the body from certain medical conditions and chronic diseases.
4. It contains beneficial micronutrients: Ewedu contains micronutrients that play important roles in the well-being of humans. They also help in the regulation of metabolism, heartbeat, and bone density. Generally, this reduces one chances of becoming ill as micro-nutrients and vitamins see to the well-being of the consumers.
5. Home remedy in the treatment of certain illness: Ewedu can also be used locally as it could be taken as a home remedy to ease certain illnesses that involve constipation, dysentery, and related stomach conditions.
6. It contains beta-carotene: Ewedu soup contains beta-carotene which is the main safe source of dietary vitamin A. This is important for normal growth and development in the body. It also strengthens the immune system and helps to improve vision. This means that consuming more ewedu soup could improve your eyesight and nourish your body at the same time.
7. Protection against degenerative diseases: Ewedu leaves contain vitamins A, C and E. These vitamins play a major role in the protection of the body from degenerative diseases. Vitamin A is essential for normal vision, immune system, and reproduction. It also promotes the proper functioning of organs like lungs, heart, and kidney. The vitamin C obtained in ewedu leaves is essential for the proper of healing of wounds, it also works for the repair and maintenance of bones and teeth. This vitamin also helps the body produce collagen; an important protein that is key in the formation of skin, tendons, cartilage, ligaments and blood vessels.
Reactions as Davido tops Forbes 100 icons Africa list
Social media users have reacted to the award-winning singer, Davido topping Forbes 100 Innovations, Inventions, and Icons Africa list. The...
DSTV announces procedures for BBNaija season 6 audition
Organisers of Big Brother Naija, BBNaija have announced that auditions will soon begin for season six of the Big Brother...
Burna Boy Stands Tall At Grammys, Wins ‘Best Global Album’ Award
Nigerian superstar, Damini Ogulu, better known as Burna Boy, has won Best Global Music Album at the 2021 Grammy awards....
Nollywood Actor, Lateef Adedimeji, Woos American Based Singer, Jemiriye Adeniji *tale trails his romance with Bimpe Oyebade
The latest romance story is coming on the heels of Adedimeji’s alleged romance with an America based Yoruba actress, Oyinkansola...
Hushpuppi hires former government lawyer as defence counsel
Ramon Abass also known as Hushpuppi has hired a top-rated criminal defence lawyer, Loius Shapiro to represent him in his trial in...