The fate of Justice Walter Onnoghen, the suspended Chief Justice of Nigeria, is being determined right now as report says National Judicial Council (NJC) commenced the emergency meeting in a few hours ago in Abuja.
On the list of the agenda for the meeting is the suspension of Walter Onnoghen as the Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), who has been replaced with Justice Tanko Muhammed, Sahara Reporters says.
Onnoghen was suspended last Friday by President Muhammadu Buhari, and Ibrahim Tanko Muhammad was sworn in to take his place in acting capacity. Onnoghen was suspended on a directive by the Code of Conduct Tribunal over allegations of fraudulent declaration of assets.
WHO ARE NJC MEMBERS?
According to 1999 constitution, members of the council are:
- the chief justice of Nigeria who shall be the chairman
- the next most senior justice of the supreme court who shall be the deputy chairman
- the president of the court of appeal
- five retired justices selected by the CJN from the supreme court or court of appeal
- the chief judge of the federal high court;
- five chief judges of states to be appointed by the CJN from among the chief judges of the states and of the high court of the FCT, Abuja
- one grand kadi to be appointed by the CJN from among grand kadis of the Sharia courts of appeal to serve in rotation for two years;
- one president of the customary court of appeal to be appointed by the CJN from among the Presidents of the Customary Courts of Appeal to serve in rotation for two years
- five members of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) who have been qualified to practise for a period of not less than 15 years, at least one of whom shall be a SAN, appointed by the CJN on the recommendation of the national executive committee of the NBA to serve for two years and subject to re-appointment, provided that the five members shall sit in the Council only for the purposes of considering the names of persons for appointment to the superior courts of record; and
- two persons not being legal practitioners, who in the opinion of the CJN, are of unquestionable integrity.
WHAT ARE THE POWERS AND DUTIES OF NJC?
The constitution says the NJC shall have power to, among other things:
- recommend to the president the removal from office of the specified judicial officers and to exercise disciplinary control over such officers;
- recommend to the governors the removal from the office of the judicial officers
- collect, control and disburse all moneys, capital and recurrent, for the judiciary;
- advise the president and governors or any matter pertaining to the judiciary as may be referred to the council by the president or the governors;
- appoint, dismiss and exercise disciplinary control over members and staff of the
Their outcome may spark another constitutional debate over the suspension of Onnoghen. Don’t forget to share your views with us
Face Of Osun State 2021 Unveil Winners, Releases Stunning Photos
A beautiful Student of Osun state, Obafemi Awolowo University osun state, Queen Bakare Hasiat who emerged the winner Face...
Kizz Daniel welcomes set of twins
Popular Nigerian singer, Kizz Daniel, has announced the birth of his sons. The singer revealed this on Instagram on Saturday...
BBNaija: Big Brother announces date for Season 6 audition, lists criteria
Organizers of Big Brother Naija, BBNaija reality show has announced a new date for auditioning of season 6. A post...
Nollywood star Baba Ijesha arrested for alleged 7-year rape of minor
The Lagos State Police Command has arrested Olarenwaju James, 48, aka Baba Ijesha, a popular Nollywod actor, for defiling a...
Reactions as Davido tops Forbes 100 icons Africa list
Social media users have reacted to the award-winning singer, Davido topping Forbes 100 Innovations, Inventions, and Icons Africa list. The...