Connect with us

World News

Trump threatens to cut funding to WHO as US COVID-19 deaths hit daily record

Published

on

President Donald Trump has threatened to cut US funding to the World Health Organisation, accusing it of bias towards China during the coronavirus pandemic.

It comes as nearly 2,000 people infected with the new coronavirus died in the United States in the past 24 hours. The record daily figure of 1,939 brings the total number of deaths in the US to 12,722.

Mr Trump told reporters on Thursday that he was “going to put a very powerful hold on” funding to WHO, the UN body whose biggest funding source is the United States.

“We’re going to put a hold on money spent to the WHO,” said Mr Trump, who has previously criticised other UN and multilateral agencies.

He gave no details about how much money would be withheld and minutes later during the same press conference he said: “I’m not saying I’m going to do it.”

“We will look at ending funding,” he added.

According to Mr Trump, the WHO “seems to be very biased toward China. That’s not right.”

His comments built on an earlier statement on Twitter in which he accused the WHO of being “very China-centric.”

(The Nation)

Abass Sulaiman Adegoke, well known as Adegoke is a student of Federal Polytechnic Ede studying Civil Engineering, He is a media enthusiast, loves traveling, and has a special interest in personal development.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Entertainment

Loading...